Recommend a garmin type gizmo for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have Wahoo Bolt, Garmin 1030 and Karoo2 in my bag at the moment. I am on my way to France. The Garmin and Wahoo are set up for those who like to crunch numbers and data. The Karoo2 is set up more for navigation. My primary navigation getting through France and up to Wales will be the Karoo2. It seems to load 3rd party routes (RWGPS
Etc better than Wahoo or Garmin.

I will be able to tell you more in a couple of weeks.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
We all have different preferences, but I am with those who do NOT prefer a touch screen here. Much harder to use while in motion, and also rarely work well when it is raining.

Having said all that and sounded like an evangelical for Wahoo I have had to have my Bolt replaced twice in 4 years, but always done with minimum if fuss by Wahoo

Does sound like a few quality control issues with Wahoo from that. Once is unlucky, but twice…

Lee_M

Guru
Really, that would be interesting to know. Have you got a link? I'm asking because very occasionally I run a factory reset and once or twice have struggled with the QR code.

It's in the app when you get the qr screen up. Can't remember exactly but could be top right of the screen. Easy to miss.

The majority of current GPS devices designed for use on bikes fulfil all your requirements (subject to what your definition of 'long battery life' is).

Your choice of which one is really one of ergonomics, not functionality. it comes down to: whether you do or don't want a touchscreen; what *your* perception is of how big and shiny, or not, the screen needs to be for you to use it comfortably; whether you attach higher value to simplicity or functional richness. It would certainly be best if you could physically examine your candidate devices as those things are, to be generous, somewhat obscured by marketing materials from all the manufacturers.

Regarding cycle.travel: I use cycle.travel to create routes too. It does not synch automatically [EDIT: thanks for the correction @Ming the Merciless - it can 'send to' Garmin Connect, which is half way to actually 'synching' and almost as good] to any of the major cycling gps providers and whilst it's possible to 'import a gpx file' to all the devices, the easiest way is arguably to import that gpx file into a free Komoot / Ridewithgps / whatever account - one of the services which does automatically sync to the Wahoo / Garmin / whatever - so that it'll then sync to the cycling computer. Komoot, as an example, adds a bit of value as well, in that it'll identify where cycle.travel has playfully routed you down some kilometre long muddy footpath to avoid 50m of A road ..... (though maybe you enjoy a muddy footpath!).

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I had a version 1 Wahoo Elemnt, it never synced well with anything, the buttons were hard to press esp when in a protective case,
The lights were baffling, on the fly routing via App was a pita (had to stand at side of road fiddling with phone and then wait for it to upload to device) and then useless (eg Road selected, at the first attempt it tried to take me down a muddy bridle path and refused to re-route).

The black and white screen was horrible, the maps and dotted line were poor and hard to follow.
It didn’t fit on Garmin mounts and at that point extra stem mounts were £25 (and always out of stock).
By their own admission through the helpdesk, their iOS app had flaws hence the syncing issues.
I flogged it and got a Garmin 830, much better for me as a basic user.
I am sure Wahoo have improved in some ways but I was completely put off by a £300 device that never worked usefully for me!

Alex321

Veteran
I had a version 1 Wahoo Elemnt, it never synced well with anything, the buttons were hard to press esp when in a protective case,

I am sure Wahoo have improved in some ways but I was completely put off by a £300 device that never worked usefully for me!

They have. That original Elemnt was replaced by the Roam (which I have) which is much better, and then the Bolt came along. Both Roam and Bolt are now on version 2, which improve each of them further.

With my Roam (v1), I have never had the slightest problem synching (usually just happens automatically when I go into the phone app), and there is absolutely no need for any protective case (it is weatherproof in anything South Wales has thrown at it in the last two years), so the buttons are easy to press (even with my winter ski gloves on). And on-the-fly re-routing seems pretty decent.

vickster

Legendary Member
They have. That original Elemnt was replaced by the Roam (which I have) which is much better, and then the Bolt came along. Both Roam and Bolt are now on version 2, which improve each of them further.

With my Roam (v1), I have never had the slightest problem synching (usually just happens automatically when I go into the phone app), and there is absolutely no need for any protective case (it is weatherproof in anything South Wales has thrown at it in the last two years), so the buttons are easy to press (even with my winter ski gloves on). And on-the-fly re-routing seems pretty decent.

Android or iOS?
I use a protective case to protect if dropped, they should be weatherproof

Peter Salt

Bittersweet

Worth noting the common screen delamination issue when it comes to Wahoo units. They do replace them without a fuss, but if you're on a long tour and it happens somewhere in the middle, that's a bit of a bummer.

Mike_P

Guru
The Elemnt 2 is a vast improvement display wis3 on the 1, Have no problem syncing with the 1 and do not find the buttons hard to press. Dropped the 1 a number of times and no screen issues.

I did find the lights confusing when using it for directions along with my Varia as I could be unsure whether the red lights meant I had missed a turning or that there was a vehicle approaching quickly. That was the reason I bought the 530 along with the colour display but thinking a Roam 2 would be better with its less complex settings and the horizontal and vertical lights independently settable to what they indicate.

The Elemnt nor the Roam will fit a Garmin mount but, unless bought second hand, they come with the appropriate mounts.

Never tried setting a route whilst on a ride, when setting one up on the laptop I invariably reroute part of it as often roads I avoid are selected so very wary of setting an x to y route on the device itself

vickster

Legendary Member
The Elemnt 2 is a vast improvement display wis3 on the 1, Have no problem syncing with the 1 and do not find the buttons hard to press. Dropped the 1 a number of times and no screen issues.

I did find the lights confusing when using it for directions along with my Varia as I could be unsure whether the red lights meant I had missed a turning or that there was a vehicle approaching quickly. That was the reason I bought the 530 along with the colour display but thinking a Roam 2 would be better with its less complex settings and the horizontal and vertical lights independently settable to what they indicate.

The Elemnt nor the Roam will fit a Garmin mount but, unless bought second hand, they come with the appropriate mounts.

Never tried setting a route whilst on a ride, when setting one up on the laptop I invariably reroute part of it as often roads I avoid are selected so very wary of setting an x to y route on the device itself

It came with one stem mount (not as easy to transfer as Garmin ones with the rubber bands if multiple bikes if multiple bikes) and one out front which didn't fit on my narrow bars with cross levers, having space for lights being more important. I managed to bodge the back of the unit so it would with a bit of fiddling fit a Garmin mount

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In all probablilty there is something from each of the Karoo, Garmin, Wahoo (who have I missed out?) lineups that will suit you perfectly. Whichever brand you choose, provided you get the features you want, you are unlikely to regret.

The choice of which brand to go with isn't such as big a deal as people make out. It's just that some people get personally attached to their brands.

Make a list of your features. Go on the web. Research the features that are important to you. Download manuals. Make a spreadsheet. Stick a pin into it.

Top Bottom