Recommend a garmin type gizmo for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExBrit

Über Member
Thanks all for the advice, much appreciated. I'm going to go for a Wahoo Roam V2. Will report back once I've tried it, but will be a couple of weeks at least.

I have the Bolt V2 and my daughter has the Roam V1. Both excellent. Love to know what you think of the Roam V2. You should see battery life in the order of 18 hours. If you have a paid rwgps account the integration is sweet. We live in southern California and have only owned them a few years so we have no idea how they stand up to rain. :laugh:

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
We live in southern California and have only owned them a few years so we have no idea how they stand up to rain. :laugh:

Please accept my cordial loathing :tongue:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Should be much better than that. Do you have the backlight set high? I’m getting about 24 hours off of my battery. Backlight mostly off or set at 10% during the day as it’s not really needed.

You could be right. I should have said "at least as good", so far, I have come no where near running battery flat, even on 6-7 hour sessions.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thanks all for the advice, much appreciated. I'm going to go for a Wahoo Roam V2. Will report back once I've tried it, but will be a couple of weeks at least.

FYI I've just received an offer direct from Wahoo for the Roam V1 at £179.99 and the Roam V2 at £199.99. (incorrect, my misreading of the offer) I've no idea of prices elsewhere but have to confess I've had a tough couple of hours resisting.........................

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
FYI I've just received an offer direct from Wahoo for the Roam V1 at £179.99 and the Roam V2 at £199.99. I've no idea of prices elsewhere but have to confess I've had a tough couple of hours resisting.........................

For the Roam v2 that is exceptional - are you sure it wasn't £299.99? The v2 normally retails at around £330-£350

That is a fairly typical price for the Roam V1.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
For the Roam v2 that is exceptional - are you sure it wasn't £299.99? The v2 normally retails at around £330-£350

That is a fairly typical price for the Roam V1.

I'm correcting my post above. The Roam V2 is £349, the Bolt is next to the Roam V1 at £199.99. Thanks for pointing out my error.

Alex321

Veteran
I'm correcting my post above. The Roam V2 is £349, the Bolt is next to the Roam V1 at £199.99. Thanks for pointing out my error.

OK . You can get the v2 for £329 from startfitness, £349 in quite a few places. The v1 is £179 in at least half a dozen places.

Mike_P

Guru
New Wahoo's tend not to be significantly reduced for some time. Latest on my inept Garmin 530 is that it failed to track the first 0.61 miles of my ride yesterday, any offers for it ?

Juliansou

Not sure if it’s already been recommended, but I use a beeline velo 2 - really simple device & im pleased with the navigation options. Here’s a link https://beeline.co/pages/beeline-cy...MI-sauhbbv_wIVGLztCh32Tw1DEAAYASAAEgLisPD_BwE

mikeIow

Guru
Haven’t read the whole thread, but I got a Wahoo Roam (v1 I guess, back in 2020 - haven’t checked what a v2 offers, mine still works just fine) ready to take me from Lands End to John O’Groats.
I worked out how to get maps from the very brilliant https://cycle.travel route planning site on to it….& it worked like a dream 💪
Only twice missed a turn, & both times were because I was gazing at the scenery (& detected within a couple of hundred yards) 👀

A combination made in heaven. My Wahoo runs for about 12hours 👍

FWIW, I’m also a massive fan of the Garmin Varia RTL515 radar light. Hooks up immediately with the Wahoo, and was a brilliant tool for being alerted to approaching cars. So much notice….if approaching a blind corner/hill, it gives you time to position yourself to deter dodgy overtaking……if it showed red (fast car approaching), I would sometimes wobble out a bit so they would think there was a dodgy cyclist: never failed to alert me, & a great safety device 👍

Also printed and double-side laminated maps to have in my bar bag (belt & braces). Handy for seeing the bigger picture for each day, along with the elevation pain to expect: sample here:

Attachments

• IMG_2131.jpeg
    IMG_2131.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

grldtnr

Not sure if it’s already been recommended, but I use a beeline velo 2 - really simple device & im pleased with the navigation options. Here’s a link https://beeline.co/pages/beeline-cy...MI-sauhbbv_wIVGLztCh32Tw1DEAAYASAAEgLisPD_BwE

I am considering a Beeline unit, but it will have to be usable on the motorbike as well, thinking the 'moto' version will do both cycling as well as motoring.
One thing I would like to clear up ,there are a limited amount of 'waypoints ' on the Velo, does this impact the use ability on longer rides, or do you just need to stop and reset a new route? Not a bad thing if you did ,always time for that 'diet coke moment' ,riding a recumbent makes using paper maps a awkward experience,and you can't do that motorized.
The Beeline is cheaper , smaller ,less intrusive, and less distracting, holds charge for 30 hrs, I think it's 10 for the Velo 2.

So why isn't it more popular.

cycling_eejit

Über Member
I've got a Beeline Velo 2, on paper it does everything I need, but in practice it falls a bit short.

Main issue I have is when I load a route from a GPX file created on another app it appears correct in the Beeline app, but when I'm out on a ride it usually stops following the route at some stage. For it to work properly I need to create the route in the Beeline app.

grldtnr

I've got a Beeline Velo 2, on paper it does everything I need, but in practice it falls a bit short.

Main issue I have is when I load a route from a GPX file created on another app it appears correct in the Beeline app, but when I'm out on a ride it usually stops following the route at some stage. For it to work properly I need to create the route in the Beeline app.

Why not just use the Beeline app, it is free.
I am not a techno nerd,vi&m a numpty when it comes to electronicals

Juliansou

I am considering a Beeline unit, but it will have to be usable on the motorbike as well, thinking the 'moto' version will do both cycling as well as motoring.
One thing I would like to clear up ,there are a limited amount of 'waypoints ' on the Velo, does this impact the use ability on longer rides, or do you just need to stop and reset a new route? Not a bad thing if you did ,always time for that 'diet coke moment' ,riding a recumbent makes using paper maps a awkward experience,and you can't do that motorized.
The Beeline is cheaper , smaller ,less intrusive, and less distracting, holds charge for 30 hrs, I think it's 10 for the Velo 2.

So why isn't it more popular.

Can’t say 100% but I think you’re limited to (about?) 12 following the las test firmware update?

Top Bottom