Recommend a garmin type gizmo for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Cheap phone and Google maps..

I'll get my coat!🤣🍿🤣🍿

Debade

Über Member
Sorry I did not read the entire thread. Have years of bike touring and hiking experience in mostly in N America and some in Europe. The Garmin Etrex 30x has been our go to device. RidewGPS the routing system. Uses AA batteries so replacement is easy.

For getting through cities, I make sure my 800 series Garmin is on for easier turn by turn directions. A paid subscription on RidewGPS provides audible messages that a turn is soon. This really helps in cities.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sorry I did not read the entire thread. Have years of bike touring and hiking experience in mostly in N America and some in Europe. The Garmin Etrex 30x has been our go to device. RidewGPS the routing system. Uses AA batteries so replacement is easy.
I'd echo this. With the OP's requirements it's worth thinking beyond pure cycling GPS units like Garmin Edge and Wahoos.
The physical robustness of the Etrex (NB or other make like Magellan maybe) and the AA batteries add a new dimension relevant to touring.

Mind you it's ages since I used an Etrex and transferring files to them was really difficult - because it always was 15-20 years ago. I don't know how much they've changed and how they'd stand up to say, a Wahoo, in the usability stakes these days.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I'd echo this. With the OP's requirements it's worth thinking beyond pure cycling GPS units like Garmin Edge and Wahoos.
The physical robustness of the Etrex (NB or other make like Magellan maybe) and the AA batteries add a new dimension relevant to touring.

Mind you it's ages since I used an Etrex and transferring files to them was really difficult - because it always was 15-20 years ago. I don't know how much they've changed and how they'd stand up to say, a Wahoo, in the usability stakes these days.

Our touring will be under roofs rather than canvas, so AA batteries would be a big downside, much easier just to recharge via USB.

Other than that, why would etrex be better?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Our touring will be under roofs rather than canvas, so AA batteries would be a big downside, much easier just to recharge via USB.

Other than that, why would etrex be better?

Well, that was the main thing actually. Some tourists can be without power for a while, and you can easily carry/buy spare AAs. Aside from that they are simpler, so you're not buying a load of ant+ sensors and stuff, nice big buttons so easy to use, super robust. But none of these are really game changers.

But the main thing is not to forget about them as an option, even if you discount it. It doesn't have to be Garmin Edge XYZ vs Wahoo ABC.

GuyBoden

Guru
I have an old Garmin 820, the battery was/is the only problem.

A few questions:

Has the battery life improved in the newer Garmin?

Is the newer Garmin designed to replace the battery easily?

ExBrit

Über Member
Wahoo Elemnt Bolt is the simplest. It's what I use. Not a touch screen. You can make it beep for turns and I zoom in when in unknown urban areas. Very good battery life. Not great if you take a wrong turn but your phone would be a back up for that.

You can sync the app with most route planners or upload gpx files into it.

I agree with you that the Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt V2 is a great navigation device. But I think it helps avoid and fix wrong turns. You get flashing red lights and an electric raspberry when you stray off course. It will route you back to the course if you deviate from the course, say to visit a bike shop. It will also allow you to change your route on the fly although with the small screen that's a bit tricky.

Depending on your needs, the ridewithgps app on your phone is excellent but sucks power like crazy.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I cannot make comparisons, since I have only used (two) Garmin products.

I typically use Cycle.travel to make routes.

I am not interested in heart rate recording etc, distance ridden is the only metric I use.

I originally had a Garmin Edge Touring. Routes can be sent directly to Garmin, using Connect. Battery would last for 8-10 hours in my experience, recharge via USB. Ride data was easily transferred to Strava and/or Runkeeper using the Connect software. Navigation was fine, unless you went off route, in which case recalculating was so slow as to be useless. I had the Edge for 6 years, it still works, but, after being dropped (even although it was in a Garmin protective cover) the display is now too dim to read in "normal" daylight.

I have recently bought a Garmin Edge Explore 2 Touring (£219, Amazon). Only had it for two weeks, but, initial impressions are good. Routes can be sent directly from Cycle.travel. Battery life appears similar to above Garmin. Navigation is no problem, and, recalculation time is now fast enough to make it practical. Touch screen is clear and readable even in bright sunlight. Haven't had rain yet, so cannot comment on that.

-

Last edited:
Top Bottom