Recommend a graveyard/grave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
Colne cemetary. Fine view of the back of Pendle.

Final resting place of course of a very famous chap, even if many would struggle to recall his name. (hint - wander to the local spoons)

And this interesting (to me) tombstone - and there's at least one more like it.

www.flickr.com/photos/37034456@N06/27648025989/in/dateposted-public/

If you zoom in, you can see that under the upward pointing hand/finger there is the word "gone". Presumably a trend/fashion at that time (19th century) indicating the destination of the deceased. Would love to find one with a downward pointing hand/finger. :smile:

And a big thumbs up to anyone who can remind me how to embed an image from an external web site (ie non cyclechat media page).

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I keep saying that i'll buy a phone/camera,so i can send in pictures of things i see on my travels and walks. One thing that's been bugging me is a gravestone in my local cemetery. I must've walked past it a thousand times,seeing as i go in nearly everyday,and was brought up on the street next to the "cemy". I can't remember the exact wording on the stone,but it's the grave of a World War One pilot. It says something like "Killed while on active service over the east coast of England",then ends with the words "One Of England's Heroes". The pilot was an officer in the Royal Flying Corps. The reason i mention it is because yesterday was the one hundredth anniversary of his death. I just thought i had to mention it somewhere. I mentioned it down my local pub last night,and was met with a "Oh right. Anyway as i was saying" kind of attitude. No one seems to visit his grave. I keep saying that one day i'll try and look it up online who he was and his background. One day maybe!

Edit...I've just been in again. Flt Sub(or sea) Liut Charles Greenwood.
With 4 hard to make out Roman numeral type letters under his name.

It also says killed on sea plane service,not active service as i thought.

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I've seen Jim Morrisons grave in Paris which I believe may have been moved.

In London, the one to visit is probably Mortlake Crematorium which has a list of famous internees or who have been cremated there: Richard Beckinsale, Dick Emery, Kenny Everett, Tommy Cooper, Robin Day, Charles Hawtrey (Carry On...), Kirsty MacColl, Leonard Rossiter ....

Anyone passing through Napton-on-the-Hill in Warwickshire maybe should stop at the St. Lawrence churchyard to see Ed Bishop's grave - Ed Straker in UFO & also the original Captain Blue in Captain Scarlet & the Mysterons. Very under-rated actor IMHO.

Findagrave.com is useful for these things. I've often thought of popping by some graveyards etc, if I'm in the vicinity if any famous folk are buried there to pay my respects for entertaining us in this mad world of ours...:okay:

MiK1138

Veteran
........In London, the one to visit is probably Mortlake Crematorium which has a list of famous internees or who have been cremated there: Richard Beckinsale, Dick Emery, Kenny Everett, Tommy Cooper, Robin Day, Charles Hawtrey (Carry On...), Kirsty MacColl, Leonard Rossiter ..../QUOTE]
If you in this area then East Sheen Cemetery has the graves of Fulton MacKay and Roy Kinnear. as well as the stunning Lancaster Memorial

Top Bottom