Recommend a graveyard/grave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Prompted by this.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39480595

I did think of posting in touring as on long rides i often pause in graveyards for a short educational wander or a bite to eat or an espresso.

Last year on a planned long winter ride i planned to pop by the midlands grave of the woman who came within a hair of changing european history by shooting mussolini but bad weather intervened.

Italian cemetaries should always be popped into. Some great sculpture. And some kitsch of course.

In my current frame of mind this stuff is definitely out, but... My favourite 30 mile loop goes by the church at Hoyland Common. If I need a break I have a sit in the graveyard there and enjoy the peace and quiet, and love the view. I've met a few walkers that use it as a stop on their routes too.
No one famous that I know of in their, never really looked. It's just nice.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Italian cemetaries should always be popped into. Some great sculpture. And some kitsch of course.

B066453F-5E23-4045-9093-748D39E1EE0A.jpeg
66E705A6-929B-40F4-842E-81AA9A58C558.jpeg
14E11ADA-D10F-44E5-8CC8-09A32F81599A.jpeg
741DE839-A892-47EA-AECD-DFFBCE19E0B0.jpeg
4EC9C366-C938-4CE3-AA5E-F6821FE92CE6.jpeg

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Ah a fellow ghoul i see.:smile: Where are the pics?

Italian graves of course very often/usually have pics on them. Evident in many london graves with folk of italian extraction. When in italy i often amuse my warped mind checking these out for examples of apparently mismatched couples.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Top of Cow Hill, which has a bench and a good view down the Severn to the two bridges! I was invited to come in the first time by a member of the congregation when I'd stopped at the brow of the hill for a quick breather and to look.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ah a fellow ghoul i see.:smile: Where are the pics?

Italian graves of course very often/usually have pics on them. Evident in many london graves with folk of italian extraction. When in italy i often amuse my warped mind checking these out for examples of apparently mismatched couples.
Small Spa town in the hills near Santa Sofia (Emiglia Romana). IIRC, not a million miles away is Mussolini’s tomb.

Russian military graveyards are impressive.

pawl

Legendary Member
6 ft deep.no joint occupancy.One carefull owner.Sorry no Costa Coffee Only food provided at the wake allowed

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I love a good graveyard as much as the next person. My favourite is a green graveyard where a friend is buried. In short: A farmer has ‘diversified’ and been granted permission to use some of their land for green burials. Wicker or soft wood caskets only. Or a shroud (my preference)

As a domestic gardener, my position with clients can be very intimate. Divorce, death, births, marriage etc. I do pet funerals too. Yesterday I did one family’s third animal and was told I do a great job. Idea mongering. Hmmm.

Once I got a call from a housekeeper and the line was very bad and I thought I heard the following:

Housekeeper- ‘Gary (the name of one of the farm hands) was hit by a car last night. The family are devastated. Can you come over to the house and bury him?’

Me- ‘I’m sorry! But shouldn’t you...’

Housekeeper- ‘Please hurry, it’s not pleasant. See you soon. Goodbye.’

I arrived half an hour later absolutely bricking it. I knocked for the house keeper and was told to go and get Gary who was in a cardboard box by the greenhouses. Off I went utterly terrified of what I would find.

Got down to the greenhouses and there was....

Larry...Not Gary...In the cardboard box. God rest his soul.

Larry is the (was the) farm cat.

Mobile reception is rubbish round here.

Top Bottom