Recommend a graveyard/grave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User32269

I regularly cycle through Everton Cemetery (which isn't actually in Everton) John Houlding the founder of Liverpool FC has an impressive resting place.
12210976464_45e80373bd_o.jpg

iandg

Legendary Member
Old Calton Burial Ground, Edinburgh

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Old Jewish graveyard in Prague very cool, if considering a tour
Yes, been there, years ago in the communist years. Seem to remember a particular tomb where folk left small stones or something. Can't remember why. Always remember that cemetary as i popped in a nearby bar early in the morning and a couple of perfectly respectable women of a certain age seemed to be having a hard spirit pick-me-up at the bar.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
There's as much history in them as anywhere else.
Agree. Small interesting stuff/insights into the lives of normal folk, plus of course the graves, some you come across by accident, of the great and good, the mad, bad, dangerous and deranged.

You can also see history unrevised in stone. Go into italian cemetaries for instance and you can see fascist era graves, some with rather aggressive wording. Which rather gives the lie to postwar italian history rewriting. For old benito was very popular. They have remodelled/rewritten a lot of the world war 1 war memorials (many dated from the fascist period) so that they sound more suitably european, but the graves remain and tell a truer story.

You also sometimes see folk fighting/settling ongoing political battles in italian cemetary monuments. For as someone wise once said, if italy is the land of love it is also the land of hate.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Agree. Small interesting stuff/insights into the lives of normal folk, plus of course the graves, some you come across by accident, of the great and good, the mad, bad, dangerous and deranged.

You can also see history unrevised in stone. Go into italian cemetaries for instance and you can see fascist era graves, some with rather aggressive wording. Which rather gives the lie to postwar italian history rewriting. For old benito was very popular. They have remodelled/rewritten a lot of the world war 1 war memorials (many dated from the fascist period) so that they sound more suitably european, but the graves remain and tell a truer story.

You also sometimes see folk fighting/settling ongoing political battles in italian cemetary monuments. For as someone wise once said, if italy is the land of love it is also the land of hate.
Can you give any examples of the wording?

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Can you give any examples of the wording?
No, don't have any pics, don't take them these days.

I do remember seeing the odd world war 1 grave where there were cutting comments about the Austrians. Kinda odd in a way since italy actually broke a 30 year treaty to declare war on austria and austria wasn't looking for a fight. I find that it is fairly common in italy for monuments to name the enemy, whereas in britain memorials will usually just say that the ex building was destroyed by "enemy action" rather than "bastard germans".

See above about hate.

Italian war memorials is a big separate subject. Someone should do a book on them, showing the different versions. I once saw the old and new plaques alongside each other until the council got its finger out and removed the old one. Anyone wandering cycling round italy should look for the tell tale signs of plaques removed, statues atop memorials changed. Still, back to graves and graveyards.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I also like the crossroad graves in this country. In the days when suicide and mental health were taboo (not that we’ve made much progress) People who had committed suicide, were buried in unconsecrated graves at crossroads. Like Tucker’s Grave up the road from me. Normally just the road gets the name and the grave is not even marked.

That said, I rode past quite a large, rustic grave while on the Dartmoor Devil Audax. For the life of me I can’t remember where it was. Anyone?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
No, don't have any pics, don't take them these days.

I do remember seeing the odd world war 1 grave where there were cutting comments about the Austrians. Kinda odd in a way since italy actually broke a 30 year treaty to declare war on austria and austria wasn't looking for a fight. I find that it is fairly common in italy for monuments to name the enemy, whereas in britain memorials will usually just say that the ex building was destroyed by "enemy action" rather than "bastard germans".

See above about hate.
Thanks that's what I was really asking, just how it varied.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I did kinda know about the crossroad thing, thanks for reminding me. You don't by any chance have a list/directory?

On a crossroads of london's busy cable street cycleway there is apparently a buried body with a stake through its heart!

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I did kinda know about the crossroad thing, thanks for reminding me. You don't by any chance have a list/directory?

On a crossroads of london's busy cable street cycleway there is apparently a buried body with a stake through its heart!

No sorry. But I’m going to dig out my OS maps and see if I can find that mossy old grave on Dartmoor.

EDIT: Found it! And it happens to be the subject of a Seth Lakeman song : Kitty Jay

View: https://youtu.be/gw6dPKorOBs

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay's_Grave

Last edited:
By chance I found the graves of the Sinden family while out wandering in the Kent countryside, it's the hill top grounds of a long since demolished chapel which served a once larger community when the area was connected by tidal inlets, Chapel Bank on the map. An unexpected discovery and a quite atmospheric place in the middle of nowhere.

002.jpg
003.jpg
chapel b.png

Top Bottom