Recommend a graveyard/grave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

dPLLj9ivg3MOIyaXO4j68T_-IN-n5fOJUuFXpF02IlAbMyAGRN5CA-aqKd8S9VzghObPQk9WE8U0Z8u60A=w1398-h775-no.jpg

St James' Cooling, with twelve infant graves which inspired the opening bit of Great Expectations. Hat tip to @User10571 who first alerted me to the place.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
How many famous people are there in Highgate Cemetery other than George Eliot and Karl Marx?
G.K. Chesterton wrote a poem that referenced a cemetery called Kensal Green, which presumably was well known about at the time, although I'd never heard of it.

There's a cemetery in Reading located at a point of a triangle between two busy roads called Cemetery Junction. I always thought that was a great name. In fact it was actually used as a title for a Ricky Gervais film.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
A romantic subject but spare a thought for the graveyard on Mitton Road out of Whalley, which contains the graves of WW1 servicemen who died at Calderstones hospital opposite and a number of the inmates of the asylum, forgotten, unwanted and recently vandalised. The hospital even had its own railway siding so that maimed soldiers could be brought in, out of sight of the public.

classic33

Leg End Member
I also like the crossroad graves in this country. In the days when suicide and mental health were taboo (not that we’ve made much progress) People who had committed suicide, were buried in unconsecrated graves at crossroads. Like Tucker’s Grave up the road from me. Normally just the road gets the name and the grave is not even marked.

That said, I rode past quite a large, rustic grave while on the Dartmoor Devil Audax. For the life of me I can’t remember where it was. Anyone?
Round these parts it was witches that were buried at crossroads. In a kneeling position, pinned with a stake to the ground.

Plays hell with any roadworks being carried out, if they find one.

Globalti

Legendary Member

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Pinching the stone, later bronze rifle from a memorial to them.

Grave desecration reminds me: This was something that happened to me when I lived in Africa whilst on duty as a manager in a hotel one Sunday:

We had a Scottish guest who, many years before, had been working as an expat. Sadly his wife and son died from a blood disease and were cremated out there. The memorial section where their urns were has been robbed of their brass plaques several times. He had returned to collect their ashes from the local crematorium and take them home to Scotland.

The African caretaker who was very superstitious warned the man about disturbing their resting spirits, siting he would come to harm from the spirits that protected the graves and crematorium.

The elderly Scottish man went ahead despite the advice and proceeded to open the wall and remove the remains of his wife and son. From the tree sheltering the wall, a vervet monkey launched himself at the man, knocking him to the ground. Whilst prostrate on the ground, a swarm of bees descended on the man and began an aggressive attack.

The caretaker ran out and bundled the old man and himself into an office. The caretaker rang the hotel and I took the call. Incredible as it was, I rang for an ambulance and I also drove out to the crematorium. The Scottish man gave me a bag containing the urns and asked me to look after them until he came back to the hotel. I locked the remains in the hotel safe and filled in the Duty Manager’s log book. I spent the rest of the day in shock.

When I returned to work on Monday there was a message waiting for me to report to the personnel department. Expecting to be showered in praise I was angered to find I was given a verbal warning for putting the human remains in the hotel safe. Not something I should have done in a hotel in superstitious country in Africa.

It has been a while since I have thought about this day.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Strange story. What happened to the Scotsman and his family? Did he make it back home?

My former agent in Nigeria was an intelligent and completely rational man but he certainly believed in African juju.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Strange story. What happened to the Scotsman and his family? Did he make it back home?

My former agent in Nigeria was an intelligent and completely rational man but he certainly believed in African juju.

I wish I knew if he is ok now I have lived in the UK the past couple of decades. The man did go back to Scotland with the ashes, but that’s all I know.

Where I worked, African spiritualism and the use of Tockolshi magic was strongly believed in. And as you say, by educated and powerful people too. I loved that Africans hold onto traditional, ancestral belief systems. Totems and tribalism especially. Fascinating.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Tokoloshi? So you were in South Africa or Zim?

We know woefully little about traditional African beliefs because Christianity has all but eradicated them from our perspective although they still exist strongly amongst Africans.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
View attachment 384586

St James' Cooling, with twelve infant graves which inspired the opening bit of Great Expectations. Hat tip to @User10571 who first alerted me to the place.
The late barry mason used to do trips there.
He had some plan at one point i seem to remember to camp out there after a performance (opera?) In the church. Some great pics here folks. Used to take lots of pics but no more. Praps i'll start taking the small tab on my graveyard wanderings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom