Recommend a graveyard/grave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
How many famous people are there in Highgate Cemetery other than George Eliot and Karl Marx?
G.K. Chesterton wrote a poem that referenced a cemetery called Kensal Green, which presumably was well known about at the time, although I'd never heard of it.

There's a cemetery in Reading located at a point of a triangle between two busy roads called Cemetery Junction. I always thought that was a great name. In fact it was actually used as a title for a Ricky Gervais film.

Kensal green is massive. Used to wander round there in my moody black and white photography days. Bizzarely in parts of it at times there was a strong smell of croissants from the nearby industrial bakery.

Re cemetary junction, seem to remember that on a road into blackburn there was a pub called the cemetary hotel, tavern or inn or something. It was outside the cemetary gates but even as a kid i wondered what the hell they were thinking when they named it.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
A romantic subject but spare a thought for the graveyard on Mitton Road out of Whalley, which contains the graves of WW1 servicemen who died at Calderstones hospital opposite and a number of the inmates of the asylum, forgotten, unwanted and recently vandalised. The hospital even had its own railway siding so that maimed soldiers could be brought in, out of sight of the public.
Have been there on a dank lancashire day. Seem to remember a particularly memorable inscription, may even have copied it down. Small world.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Tokoloshi? So you were in South Africa or Zim?

We know woefully little about traditional African beliefs because Christianity has all but eradicated them from our perspective although they still exist strongly amongst Africans.

Oh! Baba we!

Inini? Ku musha yangu iri mu Chisipiti. Nda ku nda pedza na hondo uko. Saka manje, nda gara mu Somerset. Nda dziva ku chandisa bhasikoro mu sandu. Muno dziva Zimbabwe here?

(I was very lucky to have spent 2 very open minded decades in Zim where I learned some wonderful cultural nuances. The Mashona are beautiful people. I can speak a little Shona, but as you can tell, my written language is not on par.)

I can also cycle in sand!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Not checked through the thread so maybe duplicating Spike Milligan's stone

upload_2017-11-25_16-44-59.jpeg

Tim Hall

Just noticed. @Tim Hall and myself post near exact same pic.
I saw that. Mine was from my own collection, when we went to see the chimneys demolished back in 2010. I can't remember if you were on that ride though.

Mrs M

Guru
AA07899C-4BE7-4757-AD4E-99C7F4A7C77B.jpeg
B77D84C5-2639-4BE3-9108-9E171846DF2F.jpeg
The non Catholic cemetery in Rome is a lovely place to visit. Nice and cool in the shade, inhabited by a variety of very friendly local cats. Shelley and Keats are buried there. The angel of grief tombstone is very impressive and sad.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't spend a lot of time wandering around graveyards but I remember visiting one in Haworth when I first came to this area about 40 years ago. It struck me very forcefully how many headstone inscriptions there were for young children. In fact, almost everybody buried there seemed to have died before they were 20 or had lived to well over 60. It was because conditions in the village had been really awful at one time*** so the poor or weak died young. The strong and/or well-off had lived to much more respectable ages.

*** Sanitary report on Haworth, 1850

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oh! Baba we!

Inini? Ku musha yangu iri mu Chisipiti. Nda ku nda pedza na hondo uko. Saka manje, nda gara mu Somerset. Nda dziva ku chandisa bhasikoro mu sandu. Muno dziva Zimbabwe here?

(I was very lucky to have spent 2 very open minded decades in Zim where I learned some wonderful cultural nuances. The Mashona are beautiful people. I can speak a little Shona, but as you can tell, my written language is not on par.)

I can also cycle in sand!

I have the highest regard for the people of Zimbabwe and I can't wait to go back there next year if business picks up. My South African agent said last week: "We hope they will all go back so that we can have our jobs back". I didn't tell her that over the years I've come to the opinion that Zimbabweans are streets ahead of South Africans, black, white or coloured, in their education and work ethic.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
View attachment 384657 View attachment 384656 The non Catholic cemetery in Rome is a lovely place to visit. Nice and cool in the shade, inhabited by a variety of very friendly local cats. Shelley and Keats are buried there. The angel of grief tombstone is very impressive and sad.

Gramsci is buried there as well, which shows how original he was - an italian buried in a non catholic cemetary ffs. Mussolini, who banged him up, had done a deal with the vatican by then, even though earlier in his "radical" career he had supposedly been anti clerical. The pope returned the favour by calling old Benito "a man sent by providence".

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
As a cross reference to my post overwhelming/underwhelming tourist attraction thread, Haworth where the Brontes lived was slightly weird, but graveyard at the parsonage/rectory was remarkably eerie/beautiful. The Brontes were actually buried inside the church, and I could not be bothered to queue. That was at the end of my Yorkshire cycling trip. At the start, I came across Anne Bronte's grave in Scarborough, which I did not know about or plan. I bought a copy of her last poem from the church. I did not think it was a great poem, but pretty grim, as it was written by a young woman who did not want to die, but had no choice.

Top Bottom