Recommend a proper country pub.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Chuffy said:
The Square and Compasses - Worth Matravers

Agreed.

Don't get there much these days though!

Don't tell anyone, but the White Swan in Thornton-le-Clay is very good.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Rigid Raider said:
My favourite is the Robin Hood at Helmshore, near Accrington. It's a tiny slice of a terrace, with four small rooms, each with a fire. There are no games machines and the music is seldom played because people go there to enjoy then excellent beers and good conversation. They don't serve food at all, they survive because the beer and the atmosphere are so good. Whatever you drink, even if it's Euro-fizz, they serve it in the correct glass. They have just been bought by Skipton Brewery so now they serve Copper Dragon ales, the Golden Pippin is just superb.

Travelling as much as I do means I will be sampling some of the pubs recommended on here but for this one, not much travelling is involved. It's years since I was in this place but you just reminded me how much I enjoyed it. We used to do a fell race from Helmshore and this pub was the apres-run HQ. Marvelous. And now with the added benefit of Copper Dragon too! :smile:

User76 said:
The Hunters Lodge, near Priddy on the Mendips. A proper, proper pub!

Great beer and the bowl of stew and crusty bread:tongue:

Is this a list of pubs I have frequented on my bike?

We have toured here a few times - (it is a fine hill from Wells,) and use either this or the Queen Victoria at Priddy.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
sprocket said:
The Railway at Yorton near Wem, The Royal Oak Ellerdine Heath.Both in Shropshire.
Another vote for The Yew Tree at Cauldon Staffs.
The White Horse in Capel Garmon,Wales, but Hav'nt been there for a while.

I know The Railway at Yorton & the Royal Oak (known as 'The Tiddly') at Ellerdine Heath - run, I believe by Barry Malone - a friend of my parents.

I also know The White Horse at Capel Garmon - run by (?) Bower ?

Since you live in Shropshire (whereabouts ?), you may know the pub that my family owned until the end of last year - The Last Inn at Hengoed - under our ownership, 25 consecutive years in the Good Beer Guide.

We used to have a dog that would only drink Real Ale; he was never 'trained' to do so, he just wouldn't touch the keg crap - made me wonder what they put in it. In 1983, he was a guest judge at the Great British Beer Festival - along with Bob Willis, the cricketer.

The same year, he even featured on 'That's Life'; before the show, the BBC put us ( & the dog !) up at the Hilton Hotel ! Happy days.

Coincidentally, Barry Malone also featured on That's Life with my dog.

I love a good traditional pub; sadly, they're becoming harder to find.

mondobongo

Über Member
The Old Dungeon Ghyll in Langdale had many a lively night in there including one with Mike Harding. Happy memories of staggering over the bridge back to the campsite and causing mayhem by tripping over guy ropes.

Not a country Pub but the Swan Inn in Wood Street Liverpool is a great little pub especially standing outside supping great ale on balmy summer evenings.

TVC

mondobongo said:
The Old Dungeon Ghyll in Langdale had many a lively night in there including one with Mike Harding. Happy memories of staggering over the bridge back to the campsite and causing mayhem by tripping over guy ropes.

Been there, done that, followed by a trek up Crinkle Crags the following morning.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
PaulB said:
The Pack Horse (also known as "The Ridge") on the Widdop road between Colne and Hebden Bridge.
I rode past that pub with colly, Calum and Bokonon on our little forum ride on Sunday.

A few years back I was out with a couple of mates on a summer evening ride along Widdop road. When they spotted the Pack Horse, they decided to cut short the ride and call in for a couple of pints. Of course, I had to join them. Very nice it was too...

I felt perfectly sober when I got on my bike and headed back towards Hebden Bridge. As you know, there is a very steep hairpinned descent into Blakedean by the Scout Hostel. I charged down towards it, left my braking far too late and came within a whisker of going off the road after the first bend ;). Two pints on an empty stomach had gone straight to my head.

I rode home very carefully after that and I've never mixed alcohol and cycling since that evening. The experience made me an advocate for very strict drink-driving laws. How anybody thinks they are safe to drive after 2 or more pints, I don't know.

A lot of those country pubs are going out of business as drinking and driving becomes less socially acceptable. It's not always possible to find a driver who is willing to settle for soft drinks on a night out.

dan_bo said:
The Vine, dunham massey. Replete with 78-year old barmaid who smokes 20 a day and has got more beans than me.

Who admired my legs when we went in in May, after the Dunham 5K.

I think she liked the idea of lots of sweaty men turning-up in running shorts, although about half the pub was full of Altrincham yah-types who didn't like us taking-over the back room.

----

Is the Blue Bell still open in York ?
(Fossgate, I think ?)
- tiny place with bar in tiny front room, tiny back room full of photographs of Yorkshire Cricket Club ca 1910, bog outside with no roof on)

pubrunner said:
I know The Railway at Yorton & the Royal Oak (known as 'The Tiddly') at Ellerdine Heath - run, I believe by Barry Malone - a friend of my parents.

I also know The White Horse at Capel Garmon - run by (?) Bower ?

Since you live in Shropshire (whereabouts ?), you may know the pub that my family owned until the end of last year - The Last Inn at Hengoed - under our ownership, 25 consecutive years in the Good Beer Guide.

We used to have a dog that would only drink Real Ale; he was never 'trained' to do so, he just wouldn't touch the keg crap - made me wonder what they put in it. In 1983, he was a guest judge at the Great British Beer Festival - along with Bob Willis, the cricketer.

The same year, he even featured on 'That's Life'; before the show, the BBC put us ( & the dog !) up at the Hilton Hotel ! Happy days.

Coincidentally, Barry Malone also featured on That's Life with my dog.

I love a good traditional pub; sadly, they're becoming harder to find.

I live near Hodnet know Barry and Rose well,also no the Last Inn. I can remember a dog on Thats Life which said sausages,is that the one? Yer
cosna beat a good pint or 2 or 3 or 6 of real bear depending on how far you have to cycle back home, seems to take forever sometimes.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
sprocket said:
I live near Hodnet know Barry and Rose well,also no the Last Inn. I can remember a dog on Thats Life which said sausages,is that the one? Yer
cosna beat a good pint or 2 or 3 or 6 of real bear depending on how far you have to cycle back home, seems to take forever sometimes.

Ask Barry & Rose about Barry being on That's Life; Rose was present at the filming. It took them eight hours to get just 30 minutes worth of film - which was then edited down to about two minutes.

My dogs was not the one that said sausages; you could put any number of bowls down containing Real Ale, cider, lager, guinness, shandy, etc, etc. He would only drink the Real Ale - the Campaign for Real Ale were delighted with this publicity for Real Ale. We could move the bowls around, but he'd always go for the Real Ale. Makes you wonder what they put in the others. I half hoped that he'd drink only Guinness - and we'd make a fortune from the publicity; sadly, I'm still working, only not in a pub.:ohmy:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Green Dragon at Hardraw - fine ales and cosy bar
Station Inn at Ribblehead - fine ales, great menu and pork and black pudding pies
Tan Hill Inn - opening hours 08:00 - 03:00 with the odd lock in :-) - camping £2 per night

All three are devoid of juke boxes.

Top Bottom