Recommend a proper country pub.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Following on from the "What's great about Britain" thread in P&L, I would vote for proper British country pubs so I was wondering about which such pubs you would recommend. There's far too many I like but my absolute favourites are as follows:

The Pack Horse (also known as "The Ridge") on the Widdop road between Colne and Hebden Bridge.

The Sun Inn in Dent.

The Tanronnen Inn in Beddgellert, Snowdonia.

If I was forced to pick just the one, it would be the Pack Horse.

What's yours? (Be disciplined!)

One that I would have no trouble recommending is this:

http://www.thehoop.co.uk/

Used to visit it in my youth, and attended several of their very popular beer festivals. ;)

jax67

The BlueBell real ale freehouse next to the Trent and mersey canal in Kidsgrove, north staffs = only open at night fron 7.30pm, or all day at weekends..won camera awards and has folk music on some nights - allows dogs and holds a pagan moot

The RedBull, church Lawton south cheshire - cyclist friendly and does good scram, and has a real good folk music night on 2nd tuesday of the month

The Brauton Arms - Rode Heath south cheshire - next to the T and M Canal - does brill chips in a basket, cycle friendly (though the canal isnt)

domd1979

Veteran
Couple that spring to mind...

The Red Lion - Ampney St Peter (Gloucestershire)

Stables Bar, Monsal Head Hotel, near Bakewell

Leadmill Brewery Tap, near Denby (converted stables, though not that much conversion).

There are plenty of equally hellfire urban pubs though.... Anchor in Digbeth, Great Western in Wolves, and Beacon Hotel in Sedgley being some of my favourites.

jax67

The Queens in NewMills High Peak. Friendly Robinsons pub, live music, cyclists welcome, owned by a pal of mine - nice to dry out in after all that pennine rain, and not far from a good chippy and the co op.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
The Red Lion in Swaffham Prior, near Cambridge, is really good. They do some good barbecues in the summer too. Very understated place too...

And they don't make too many jokes when you turn up in lycra too.....

Keith Oates

Janner
The Boslowick Arms at Falmouth, it used to be good, especially at the weekends, with live music and good food but I've not been there for several years so it might have changed by now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The Yew Tree Inn , Cauldon, Staffs. My favorite old style pub with locally made pork pies washed down with a choice of local ales.

Chris James

Über Member
I agree The Pack Horse, Widdop is good. Great food too.

Around here The Fleece in Holme is good. The Cherry Tree in High Hoyland too.

Actually a pub in our village is shaping up niceley under Ossett's new ownership too, The White Horse in Emley.

Further afield the Lister Arms in Malham is good. The New Inn in Cropton. The Sun Inn in Bassenthwaite.

For a more individual .. ahem .. character the Pen y Gwryd at Nant Gwynant is definitely worth a visit. Even better stay there for the full experience. Actually talking of individual character, there's also the The Drovers Inn, Inverarnan.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, the Pack Horse at Widdop is good. It's in prime MTBing country as well.

My favourite is the Robin Hood at Helmshore, near Accrington. It's a tiny slice of a terrace, with four small rooms, each with a fire. There are no games machines and the music is seldom played because people go there to enjoy then excellent beers and good conversation. They don't serve food at all, they survive because the beer and the atmosphere are so good. Whatever you drink, even if it's Euro-fizz, they serve it in the correct glass. They have just been bought by Skipton Brewery so now they serve Copper Dragon ales, the Golden Pippin is just superb.

Top Bottom