Recommend a steam iron

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
I'm in the market for a new device for pressing out (and pressing in) untidiness and creases in clothes.

I have recently started a job where my, otherwise unkempt, appearance is deemed important to the task and, as i'm not selling guitars, I have to wear a kind of uniform. Now, I'm not a stranger to the electric steam iron - I've had a stint in the armed forces, etc - but I have always either inherited or borrowed one, and never boiught one for myself. I have a Philips Mistral 20 which leaks all the time and doesn't steam. It's, probably, over 20 years old and i have no recollection how i came to be the 'owner' but i'm certain i didn't buy it.

Has electric steam iron technology changed over the last couple of decades or so? It's quite an exciting thought.

So can anyone recommend a modern steam iron?

postman

Legendary Member
Funny you should ask this.This is a post from my FB page

I did not want to mention this during the Christmas period.But just before Christmas i lost a close friend.
He has been by my side for a very long time.He helped me with my ten pin bowling action.He helped me iron out a few wrinkles in my life.He even got me a few brownie points with my wife and children.
So i say farewell old friend Russell Hobbs.
Mind you i soon forgot how old a thing you were dribbling over my clothes,steaming at plies of clothes.The new iron is so much smoother

The new iron is
Russell Hobbs Supreme Steam Iron 2600w. £19-99 last week,Argos or Homebase Mrs Postman bought it FOR ME.i do the ironing.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to a shop and handle a few, personally, I find it's important to have one that is the right weight. Current is Russell Hobbs, was probably on special in Tesco at the time I needed a new one. I find a plant sprayer much more effective at dampening the clothes prior to ironing than the integral spray/steam gubbins

classic33

Leg End Member
Go to a shop and handle a few, personally, I find it's important to have one that is the right weight. Current is Russell Hobbs, was probably on special in Tesco at the time I needed a new one. I find a plant sprayer much more effective at dampening the clothes prior to ironing than the integral spray/steam gubbins
Iron them whilst still wet if possible.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
How hard is your water?

Steam irons don't like very hard water, partly because the nozzles are very small and clog easily.

Some are marketed as being suitable for hard water, but I don't know if they work or not.

Where all this is leading is you might be better off to use a plain iron and a small garden atomiser.

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4621523, member: 259"]You just use distilled water. It's dirt cheap and steam irons are miles better for ironing.[/QUOTE]
Or run the water through a Brita. Stops my kettle furring up :smile:

Top Bottom