Recommend a warm jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Hi Tharg, the size is large. I wouldn't really describe myself as a large though, normally medium so it's probably cut for a cyclist! :sad:

I am happy to sell it to you anyway, though I cannot see the model anywhere on the labelling. I can take some photo's tonight and take some measurements for you, I think the armpit to armpit is normally the most crucial one.

I'll post back here tonight.

U

User482

Aldi are selling a windproof/ water resistant winter jacket for £15. It's not at all bad actually - I was warm enough on my Monday night mtb ride with that and a thin t-shirt underneath.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Is that the aldi winter cycling jacket User482? I got one, and it's the star of this winter's cycling stuff for me, really good, although I'd be surprised if there was still stock in the stores now.

domtyler

Über Member
Hi Tharg, here are the pictures of the jacket as promised:

DSCF2527.jpg

DSCF2528.jpg

DSCF2530.jpg

DSCF2532.jpg

Tharg2007

Veteran
i paid 125 for it, still pricey got it yesterday but wore it this morning and it was very nice, I thought it had good breathability and totaly windpoof. Will have to see how it performs in the wet, i suspect very well.

yello

Like others, I find jackets too warm in all but the coldest of weather. I prefer, for these chilly autumnal mornings, a base layer plus short sleeve shirt and full zip long sleeve shirt (i.e. my CC shirt!).

I wore my Rapha soft shell (over a base layer) yesterday on a pootle and that was on the warm side. If I upped the pace, then I quickly began to get hot. The temperature was around 12c so my mistake; as I said, jackets are for colder days.

cadleigh

I have an adidas climawarm winter jacket, which I love. I've used it in sub-zero temperatures and been perfectly warm with a base-layer and light mid-layer; it's windproof and seems waterproof as well (although I've not worn it in torrential rain) without being shiny. It has a generous bumflap and a good, high neck. The only downside is it's not breathable. On Autumn mornings, anything more than a cycling jersey underneath is too much, but zipped right up on a fast descent, you don't feel the wind at all.

Mine's a year or so old; the new ones seem to be heavier.

Tharg2007

Veteran
i was going to get an adidas one but read that breathability was an issue. The adidas ones are cheaper though. Still happy with the gore-tex so far.

Shady

Just got myself a Paramo Vasco Jacket.

Fleece lined but with plenty of vents etc to dissipate heat and a tail scoop at the back.

Very good indeed.

Cost around £160.

;)

yello

Shady said:
Just got myself a Paramo Vasco Jacket.

Quality kit is Paramo. I have a Cuzco jacket and I really rate it. It's one of those bits of kit that I'd replace like-for-like no questions in an instant.

It's not for the bike though really even though it's supposedly cut for it. Personally I find it a bit bulky for that.

Dirtyhanz

Veteran
i got a marmot jacket from tk max today for 30 pounds should be 90 its windproof showerproof its got a fleece linning seems great its called dry climer

Jonathan M

Go Outdoors has a Paramo windproof for £30 at the moment.

I hit lucky several years ago when I found a Shimano Windstopper jacket in Leisure Lakes. LL's always been an MTB shop, but this jacket is probably more what a roadie would wear, so they had them for £30, IIRC. Much less than may be expected, anyway, and it looks pretty much like the Gore one pictured. But one problem I find with it is that unless its into low single digit celsius temps, it is too damn warm! Added to some windstopper bib tights I also got in a sale then sub zero cycling is a real possibility - but then in this part of the world we don't seem to get sub zero temps anymore!

Top Bottom