Recommend a warm top

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jockulele

I was out on a 50 miler yesterday and whilst the rest of me was pretty comfortable , across my shoulders was uncomfortably cold.
So bad that I went back and got a waterproof and although it was a bit boil in the bag , at least my shoulders were warm.

What do you wear when the weather turns chilly ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Depends....A LS Roubaix (fleece) jacket, layers (synthetic or merino), a gilet, buff round neck, if cold and wet a nightvision evo jacket

What's your budget?

Last edited:
Base layer:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2VWRlGAbYxUK99zW12p7wS390kPO-IT-Np9uWtEwMgHTBb5j8jg.jpg

Long sleeved merino wool top:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaqxLEsdKgWxOabmEl59UZtDQoUvxY_POsBZigKM6GRILNYyPW0Q.jpg

Gilet (optional):

upload_2016-10-24_20-24-54.jpeg

And a wind or rain jacket depending on the conditions.

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2VWRlGAbYxUK99zW12p7wS390kPO-IT-Np9uWtEwMgHTBb5j8jg.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2VWRlGAbYxUK99zW12p7wS390kPO-IT-Np9uWtEwMgHTBb5j8jg.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 28
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaqxLEsdKgWxOabmEl59UZtDQoUvxY_POsBZigKM6GRILNYyPW0Q.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaqxLEsdKgWxOabmEl59UZtDQoUvxY_POsBZigKM6GRILNYyPW0Q.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 29

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I think it depends upon your suseptibility to cold. I was out yesterday from 7.30 to around 11am and was confortable with an Aldi compression layer and Aldi cycling jacket . Same for this morning leaving home at 5.20. Journey home I was too warm. As it gets colder I'll put on a merino as a base layer.
Edit: Had a Buff round my ears yesterday too, which was probably only necessary for the first hour or so.

dim

long sleeved thermal vests underneath your long sleeved cycle jersey (for now while it's only just starting to get cold) ... you can also use the long thermal underpants aswell

1460_2.jpg

when it gets really cold, thats when you need extra protection and thicker winter jackets etc

Attachments

• 1460_2.jpg
    1460_2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 64

Kajjal

Guru
Best to have a few thinner layers to better control temperature.

When in single figures and cold, I wear :-

Gore base layer
Long sleeve full zip jersey
Gore jacket

That way if it warns up a lot I can remove the jersey or jacket as needed.

I am a bit on the lardy side and tend to sweat when cycling, which means you get wet and then cold. For me, the most important layer is the windproof breathable one, which in my case is Altura vapour. Underneath go as many layers as the temperature requires. I have given up with softshell jackets as they just get so wet on the inside.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Synthetic polyester base layer (Lidl), merino base layer, Roubaix tights, long sleeve cycle jacket, waterproof top. Two buffs are good. One over your bonce/ears, and one round your neck. Synthetic LJs and ski socks are good for morale.

Top Bottom