Recommend a watch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Though this one seems to fit the slim / automatic / £100 ish criteria:

http://www.creationwatches.com/prod...currency=GBP&gclid=CIfRsavls8MCFSQHwwod6UcAtA

"In the flesh", they are horrible, the dial is translucent (for the solar input), not white, it screams "cheap", £3, not £113. For £149 you can have an English assembled watch, with decent mechanical movement, elegant design and a decent size, 40mm.

http://rltwatches.co.uk/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&path=7&product_id=9

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
"In the flesh", they are horrible, the dial is translucent (for the solar input), not white, it screams "cheap", £3, not £113. For £149 you can have an English assembled watch, with decent mechanical movement, elegant design and a decent size, 40mm.

http://rltwatches.co.uk/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&path=7&product_id=9

Nice looking kettle that, do you know by any chance what the difference is between Far East and a Swiss "Unitas" movement is, apart from the geography?

MarkF

Guru
Nice looking kettle that, do you know by any chance what the difference is between Far East and a Swiss "Unitas" movement is, apart from the geography?

Just about nowt, buy with confidence. Since ETA stopped supplying their movements to companies outside the Swatch group, respected brands now install clone Chinese movements, the issue was on the cards for years and the Chinese were quality ready.

I like that watch, the sub dial at 9 makes it. :thumbsup:

Drago

Legendary Member
There's a good story about one of the top poker players: Amarillo Slim or whoever it was. He was a steady winner and wore a Rolex. Some while later friends noticed he'd upgraded to an Audemars Puget, then later still a Patek Phillipe. Obviously poker was paying well. Later still, he was spotted with no watch at all - he was still a big winner at the card tables, but had finally realised that the real luxury was not needing to care what the time was.
Wasn't he the guy who regularly missed dinner, and who died because he was late for his appointment with the oncologist?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Just about nowt, buy with confidence. Since ETA stopped supplying their movements to companies outside the Swatch group, respected brands now install clone Chinese movements, the issue was on the cards for years and the Chinese were quality ready.

I like that watch, the sub dial at 9 makes it. :thumbsup:

I don't think I'll buy it, I have too many watches and I rarely where them. :wacko:

MarkF

Guru
I don't think I'll buy it, I have too many watches and I rarely where them. :wacko:

Oh, I got all confused and giddy talking about watches and thought you were the OP. ^_^ I use to have 100+ but got it under control a few years back, now I have a nice watch box with 10 that I wear regularly (not at the same time) and will never sell. However, 3 or 4 more have turned up recently and I need to move them on before things spiral again.....

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Oh, I got all confused and giddy talking about watches and thought you were the OP. ^_^ I use to have 100+ but got it under control a few years back, now I have a nice watch box with 10 that I wear regularly (not at the same time) and will never sell. However, 3 or 4 more have turned up recently and I need to move them on before things spiral again.....

100! Blimey, I had about 25 at my peak, but now I'm down to 6, two of them very nice ones, though I was thinking of selling them just lately.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

In the future if I 'need' another watch .... I'm speaking to you first.
I like that one. I'm much prefer mechanical watches (I have a GMT2 and mrs FF an Oris) but I made an exception for the Mondaine.
That looks very nice and an excellent price too. Trouble is ordinary folks like me don't know they exist. :-(

I take your point on Ecodrive etc, but I think there's a longer gap until they need work?

MarkF

Guru
In the future if I 'need' another watch .... I'm speaking to you first.
I like that one. I'm much prefer mechanical watches (I have a GMT2 and mrs FF an Oris) but I made an exception for the Mondaine.
That looks very nice and an excellent price too. Trouble is ordinary folks like me don't know they exist. :-(

There are a few companies like RLT, carefully picking components and assembling watches, they provide some great designs and superb value.

I take your point on Ecodrive etc, but I think there's a longer gap until they need work?

Thinking about it, it's the Seiko kinetics that use capacitors, the Citizen Eco's use rechargeable cells, still, neither last forever, bit of mis-selling IMO.

KEEF

Veteran
images.jpg
Raketa cant tell you what time it is but i love it!

Slim

Über Member
Dare I wonder why no battery? What have you got against batteries? They're quite useful for all sorts of things. Watches, eg.
Solar powered is the way to go. The Seiko ones are pretty good with a variety of styles. Creation Watches have some that won't break the budget by much.

Top Bottom