Recommend a watch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Dare I wonder why no battery? What have you got against batteries? They're quite useful for all sorts of things. Watches, eg.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
These seem quite nice:

http://www.danielslondon.com/daniels-watches/

I did hear a story about a friend of a friend who was after a nice watch, and tended to buy "made in Britain" stuff whenever possible, so was delighted to hear he could actually get a British made watch (may or may not have been a Daniels). He had a few bob, and realised it would be proper money. He did some internet trawling, and eventually tracked the model he was after to a shop in Bond Street. He nipped out in his lunchtime, and as he was suited & booted for work, looked the part at the jewellers. It was one of those shops where you have to ding the bell to be let in, which was the first sign. He asked about the watch, and was complemented on his good taste. "this is undoubtedly the finest timepiece we've ever had in our shop, we'll get it from the safe for you now". He had a look at it, and indeed, it was very nice, so then had to hedge round to the small matter of price - beginning to twig that it might be a bit more than he'd thought. £134,000 - he made his excuses and left as the phrase goes.

If you cant' quite stretch to a Daniels, although clockwork watch appeal, particularly the sensibly-enough priced Seikos people have suggested, do bear in mind that you probably need to get a clockwork watch adjusted / cleaned nearly as often as changing the battery in a quartz watch - and the latter only costs a quid if you do it yourself. The cheapest petrol station quarts watch will keep better time than a Rolex and won't cost hundreds of pounds to service every few years either. Still, I might be tempted by a clockwork Seiko next time myself

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
OP, if you want a super slim and stark looking watch like the Bering, but an automatic, then you'll struggle, unless you want to spend £k's on a Zenith. You'll lose the "slim" by needing case depth to accommodate the auto movement. Go careful, you can spend £100 and have a good watch or you can spend £100 and end up with a piece of junk.

I reckon you're right. I have a couple of chunky automatic watches but find I wear my Bahnof (cheap Mondaine copy) more often than not as I prefer the slim case.

I'm not going to spend £k's, so I may just have to accept a battery watch.

byegad

Legendary Member
I retired (Early, honest guv'!) in 2006 and haven't worn a watch since. Having worked for 35 years places where knowing the time every minute of the working day was vital, the liberation of not carrying the time strapped to my wrist is still something I feel every day. That said I always carry my phone, with the time easily accessible, and frequently carry a tablet. So I can always look at one of those if I need the time.

Drago

Legendary Member
Traser for me. A DIY battery change takes 5 minutes. Waterproof to a high degree, carbon fibre case makes it very light but incredibly strong. Tales of squaddies being virtually vaporized by IEDs with their Traser surviving unscathed abound. The perfect watch for the cyclist who fancies something a bit more grown up than a G shock.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I prefer Seiko battery watches - the more quirky the better like this 8M11 -6000

download.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
There's a good story about one of the top poker players: Amarillo Slim or whoever it was. He was a steady winner and wore a Rolex. Some while later friends noticed he'd upgraded to an Audemars Puget, then later still a Patek Phillipe. Obviously poker was paying well. Later still, he was spotted with no watch at all - he was still a big winner at the card tables, but had finally realised that the real luxury was not needing to care what the time was.

MarkF

Guru
That said I always carry my phone, with the time easily accessible, and frequently carry a tablet. So I can always look at one of those if I need the time.

I'd look a bit daft with a phone strapped to my wrist when out cycling.

do bear in mind that you probably need to get a clockwork watch adjusted / cleaned nearly as often as changing the battery in a quartz watch - and the latter only costs a quid if you do it yourself.

Noooooo, I get my auto's serviced every 10 (or so) years, if I keep a watch long enough, it costs about £25, full ultrasonic clean, adjustment and new oils installed. A new good quality battery will cost about £3-5 and they last 2 years (ish). So the "owning" cost difference between a quartz and automatic is of no consequence. BTW quartz get serviced too.

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
That's an elegant bargain! No batteries to replace and no servicing. :-)

Nooooo, they do not have a battery that needs replacing, you are right, instead they have a capacitor that needs replacing, a hell of a lot more difficult to buy and install.

All non-battery watches have to have somewhere to store the power, a spring or a capacitor, they don't work by magic.

Top Bottom