Recommend an A3 printer for me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
Almost exclusively black and white, (although I need some colour, the quality of the output isn't important), and relatively low useage (perhaps 25 or 30 prints per week). My main priority is for it not to be HP, and for the cost of replacement ink to be reasonable (the 2 go hand-in-hand).

Brains

Legendary Member
We got an Epsom a3 printer 6 months ago to replace an hp. Seems to be working well

OP
OP
MikeG

MikeG

Guru
Have a gander at PC World. End of lines/clearence. Some at half price.
The purchase price is the big issue with printers, in that they seem to virtually give the things away, then milk you forever for a fortune for the ink. I don't mind paying a bit extra, so long as I am getting a machine which is reliable and doesn't cost an arm and a leg in ink.

classic33

Leg End Member
Don't know the model numbers, but they are Epsom printers.
That side of things is going to their business side of the company. The stores are just clearing out what stock they have.

ASC1951

Guru
The purchase price is the big issue with printers, in that they seem to virtually give the things away, then milk you forever for a fortune for the ink. I don't mind paying a bit extra, so long as I am getting a machine which is reliable and doesn't cost an arm and a leg in ink.
Well, I've got a little Epson Stylus and have sworn that I will never get an Epson product again - not only are their proprietary cartridges an outrageous price, but if you trustingly upgrade the software drivers, as I did, it surreptitiously updates their detection codes which stop you using compatibles. Oh, and if any of the colour cartridges are empty it will refuse to print just with the black one.

paul04

Über Member
Well, I've got a little Epson Stylus and have sworn that I will never get an Epson product again - not only are their proprietary cartridges an outrageous price, but if you trustingly upgrade the software drivers, as I did, it surreptitiously updates their detection codes which stop you using compatibles. Oh, and if any of the colour cartridges are empty it will refuse to print just with the black one.

I've had 2 Epson printers and never had a problem with compatible cartridges, maybe you was just unlucky. but you are right, if 1 of the inks run out it will not print until its replaced.

I have a Brother DCP-6690CW. It's not small but it's a wondrous beast: A3 scanner and printer all in one.

KneesUp

Guru
Avoid Epson, for reasons stated. And because they program their multi function machines so you can't do anything without all the ink.

'You want to scan that document? Sorry, I can't create an electronic file of it because I don't have any Cyan ink, which I don't need'

'You want to print that black and white document? Sorry, no Magenta'

I run Linux so it's never updated my drivers, so at least I can use £2 a go cartridges, and to be fair it's reliable. Just very cynically programmed.

I had a brother one previously and that was great, I used it loads and with cheap ink - in the end the rollers wore down so much it wouldn't reliably pick up the paper, but it printed fine.

Top Bottom