Recommend commuting wheels please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Acyclo

Veteran
The OEM wheels (700c) on my Triban 3 are down to the wear limit at the front and very loose at the back in 4000 miles of all weather commuting, so it's time for some new wheels.

I'm looking for the best miles/pound and I'd prefer something I can get by mail. Recommendations please. Ta.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Depends on how much you want to spend, 4000 miles does not sound a lot !,i got a new rear wheel for my virtuoso when the freehub went along with flat spot on the rim from wollyhatshop for £40, perfectly fine for commuting duties.
http://www.woollyhatshop.com/wheels/700c-wheelsets/cat_104.html

P.H

Über Member
I'm looking for the best miles/pound and I'd prefer something I can get by mail. Recommendations please. Ta.

Miles/pound equations often depend on how long term you're looking. Whether you consider wheels to be a use and chuck components or consider investing in good components and rebuilding when necessary. Long term, good quality hubs and spokes, hand built by someone with a good reputation will provide the best value. The rims are still going to wear out, but having the wheels rebuilt when they do will be cheaper than another set of wheels next time round, even cheaper if you learn to do it yourself.
Spa cycles in Harogate are not to far from you and also do mail order, something like these; 105 hubs on Chrina rims for £206 would fit the bill.
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s178p376

OP
OP
Acyclo

Acyclo

Veteran
Miles/pound equations often depend on how long term you're looking. Whether you consider wheels to be a use and chuck components or consider investing in good components and rebuilding when necessary. Long term, good quality hubs and spokes, hand built by someone with a good reputation will provide the best value. The rims are still going to wear out, but having the wheels rebuilt when they do will be cheaper than another set of wheels next time round, even cheaper if you learn to do it yourself.
Spa cycles in Harogate are not to far from you and also do mail order, something like these; 105 hubs on Chrina rims for £206 would fit the bill.
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s178p376

Thanks for a thoughtful and intriguing reply. The long term vs. short term question is a tough one. I think I'm looking for a short term solution, damage and theft are real possibilities for me.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've never bothered too much about wear indicators to be honest but that's up to you. What do you mean by the rear being loose though? Just the cones needing tightening?

If you do want new rims, I'd say Mavic Open Pros on 105 hubs 36 spokes rear/32 front and you can't go wrong. I've been running this setup for a few years now.

OP
OP
Acyclo

Acyclo

Veteran
What do you mean by the rear being loose though? Just the cones needing tightening?
Yes, the rear bearings are really slack. Shame I can't get in them.

The Mavic Open Pro/105 hubs combination sounds interesting. I'll Google them up and see what's on offer. Ta.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Yes, the rear bearings are really slack. Shame I can't get in them.

The Mavic Open Pro/105 hubs combination sounds interesting. I'll Google them up and see what's on offer. Ta.
Are your current wheels not standard cone types then? Either way you should be able to tighten them up.

Supplementary to P.H.' s recommendation, Spa cycles for your wheels! Excellent service and you can specify Sapim 'strong' spokes which makes them a bit muscly, or stick with their 'race' profile. I ride the rear wheel on my bike fixed, and therefore wanted as much strength as I could have, as "leg braking" only seemed to 'break' the spokes! Give them a call.

Top Bottom