Recommend me a 10-speed chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
From my experience, it also seems to be the only one that you can actually undo without tools, swearing and then bleeding.
Yes, by they are strange, are they not? Sometimes you gently squeeze the plates and they slide apart easily. Other times, you squeeze the plates and it doesn't seem to work. After a minute of chain wiggling and oily hands it always works though. Odd that. Perhaps they are blessed by a Buddhist monk at the end of the production line.....?

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Now you come to mention it, yes, they always seem to come apart easily when they're clean and only require wiggling when they're caked in gunge...

PpPete

Legendary Member
I use nothing but KMC, but strangely I did have just one of their quicklinks (forget whether it was 9 or 10 speed) that was absolute pig to undo. In the end I had to buy a special pair of pliers (as that was cheaper than ditching the chain when it still had loads of life left)

Yes, by they are strange, are they not? Sometimes you gently squeeze the plates and they slide apart easily. Other times, you squeeze the plates and it doesn't seem to work. After a minute of chain wiggling and oily hands it always works though. Odd that. Perhaps they are blessed by a Buddhist monk at the end of the production line.....?
Ive found if you take the tension off the chain (slip it off the cranks) the link comes apart very easily every time; visa versa if there's still tension on the chain they can be booger :smile:

Nebulous

Guru
In my limited experience taking the tension off the chain when working on it is essential. I used a chain splitter the first time I changed my chain and it pinged and chipped the paint on my frame.

Top Bottom