Recommend me a curry kit for slow cooker.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I used to make all my own curries from scratch but now looking for simple!
All the packs and jars I have looked at are aimed at pan fried but I like them slow cooked.
Can anyone recommend slow cooker suitable packs......eg were I can add canned tomatoes, mushrooms and onions etc.

vickster

Legendary Member

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You don't need a "pack" per se, just a jar of curry paste to use with your choice of meat and veg.

I find a bit of this (slice off a 1cm bit per serving and keep rest in fridge) chucked in the top and stirred at the end elevates it from "humble" to "bang-on".
1713274019701.png

The pack such as those linked below are about 4 times as expensive as using a jar of curry paste.

Last edited:

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I can't remember the brand, but there are specific packets for slow cookers, just add the meat and tomatoes, stir in the packet and bang it on. We've tried a couple and they were quite good. B&M did them if I recall (other supermarkets are available ^_^ ), but I'm sure they're generally available.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Of course it's all a matter of taste but I like the Pataks range of curry pastes. I find them a bit mild, even the vindaloo, so I always add fresh green peppers. Add it when you're browning the meat.
Available just about everywhere, even down here so must be popular.

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
+1 for pastes; Pataks are easily worth the extra money rather than supermarket own brands which are far too salty and don't taste proper.

Edited to add: Be careful with cream or coconut milk as it often splits if you cook it for too long. best to cook the curry then add anything creamy right at the end and when it's cooled down a bit

Pastes can be a funny one. Worth it if you do curries regularly and don't want to faff, but if you don't have them that often, then you might have issues with them developing language skills.

Given that you're happy to add fresh ingredients, I'd suggest it's probably easier to make from scratch as a paste isn't much more than spices, onion, garlic and ginger blitzed together anyway. You can get frozen pre-chopped ginger and garlic, and as for spices, just find a really good quality curry powder. And +1 for the creamed coconut. I always have some of that in my cupboard.

The jars of sauce can be used for slow cooking btw - I did that often enough as a student, and with no ill effects.

potsy

Rambler
The jars of sauce can be used for slow cooking btw - I did that often enough as a student, and with no ill effects

I've done the same, I like the slow cooker method as it makes the meat very tender.
I have also used the slow cooker packs but have had trouble finding them the last few months, think they were Home pride.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I've done the same, I like the slow cooker method as it makes the meat very tender.
I have also used the slow cooker packs but have had trouble finding them the last few months, think they were Home pride.

I particularly enjoy lamb curry but don't like biting into fat. Slow cooking melts the fat leaving just the flavour.

Gwylan

Veteran
I used to make all my own curries from scratch but now looking for simple!
All the packs and jars I have looked at are aimed at pan fried but I like them slow cooked.
Can anyone recommend slow cooker suitable packs......eg were I can add canned tomatoes, mushrooms and onions etc.

Fry off the onions, garlic and ginger. Wack in the warming slow cooker.
Brown the meat, in the slow cooker
Selection of spices, chillies, coconut cream whatever, tomato in some liquid form
Swish around pan to get hot. Wack in the slow cooker.
Adjust the liquid level with water, apple juice, beer, whatever

Frozen cubes of garlic and ginger from Morrisons make it easy. Their frozen chillies are a bit strong, you nay only need half a cube

Coconut cream from German shops generally cheaper than the Sherwood Forest supermarkets.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You can get frozen pre-chopped ginger and garlic,

you can also get ginger and garlic paste, which is a good base for any "asian style" dish.

You can curry-fy it by just adding curry powder (and extra chilli if that's your thing). or say use chinese 5 spice for a different flavour etc...

With my current jar of curry paste, I actually use half and half ginger & garlic paste with it as it so fooking hot it was blowing peoples heads off

you can also get ginger and garlic paste, which is a good base for any "asian style" dish.

You can curry-fy it by just adding curry powder (and extra chilli if that's your thing). or say use chinese 5 spice for a different flavour etc...

With my current jar of curry paste, I actually use half and half ginger & garlic paste with it as it so fooking hot it was blowing peoples heads off

I know, there's various stuff like that. The only one I buy is the lemongrass, as it's just less faffy. I use garlic and ginger often enough to prefer the fresh rather than the paste or frozen.

I got a thai red curry paste from the little oriental supermarket in town, and it's like bloomin' rocket fuel. Makes you realise just how weedy the shop bought pastes can be.

Frozen cubes of garlic and ginger from Morrisons make it easy. Their frozen chillies are a bit strong, you nay only need half a cube

Chilli flakes are probably less faff. I keep three different kinds in my cupboard - chipotle (hot & smoky), the bog standard chilli flakes (medium heat and quite sweet) and kashmiri (mild and fruity) and use accordingly.

Top Bottom