Recommend me a decent handpump please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Another Topeak Morph fan here. I just checked my receipt and mine is a "Topeak Morph mini guage pump".

I went for the fancy one with built in pressure guage. The guage is useful but can be a bit hard to read, especially when you are exerting yoursel pumping in the inevitable rainstorm.

Edit, I've just realised I'm too late and the OP has already bought one (Post #13) Oh well ...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I like the gauge as mine is used when at the caravan and I often dont have a track pump.

I've also got a cheapie Amzoon (guess where that came from) metal pump with a guage for the commute. Has a hose too (like the Morph) and its actually very good for the money. Must be if I trust it for commuting. Its down to less than £7 at the moment.

Also got 3 Blackburn pumps Ive had years. Standard mini pumps that live in my MTB rucksacks

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Crazy dumping those cartridges into the environment, when air is free. And reusable!

<sigh ... >

Exactly. I carry them, but haven't used one for years. Mainly if I get a flat on the way to work and I am time constrained. But, these days I'm usually in by 8, and no-one does meetings before 9am. Was different pre-covid.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've got some CO2 cartridges and an inflator in a box somewhere. I bought them on a whim years ago. I wouldn't trust myself to rely on them on the road without having figured out how to use them at home first. And I don't want to bust into a sealed cartridge at home just for the sake of education. So in the box they have stayed.

Big John

Guru
I've gone back to carrying a good old fashioned pump now I don't go out in a group. I've been let down a few times by CO2 and mini pumps. CO2 inflators are great though when they work. Inflate in about a second and give a rock hard tyre. My old pump though never lets me down (bugger, I've said it now haven't I?)

GuyBoden

Guru
I've gone back to carrying a good old fashioned pump now I don't go out in a group. I've been let down a few times by CO2 and mini pumps. CO2 inflators are great though when they work. Inflate in about a second and give a rock hard tyre. My old pump though never lets me down (bugger, I've said it now haven't I?)

Yes, frame pumps are very good, but I have had a very long length Zefal plastic type fold in half. The aluminium type are better for longer pumps.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

You're right that CO2 comes into its own on a group ride. Spending an extra minute or so pumping up a tyre is no biggie when you're on your own. But when you have a bunch of other people glaring at you its quite a different matter.

And pumps come into their own when you're riding solo. On a couple of occasions I've lent my pump to lone riders who have run out of cartridges. In a group that's not a problem as you can normally borrow off someone else.

You're right that CO2 comes into its own on a group ride. Spending an extra minute or so pumping up a tyre is no biggie when you're on your own. But when you have a bunch of other people glaring at you its quite a different matter.

Really? I've never glared at a pump user, willing them to produce a CO2 canister. I don't think my time is that valuable - and as we're not in a race, the time of my ride-mates isn't either.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Really? I've never glared at a pump user, willing them to produce a CO2 canister. I don't think my time is that valuable - and as we're not in a race, the time of my ride-mates isn't either.

At the back of an FNRttC it's alway great if someone has an inflator and pssst, the (tail of the) ride is back on the road. And it's kinder to the waymarkers standing in the (inevitable) rain waiting for the mechanically delayed tail to come through. Every little helps.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Topeak and Lezyne are both great as mentioned above. I prefer the Lezyne for ease of use, but be really careful with unscrewing on tubeless wheels. I managed to remove the valve core on two occasions so have gone back to the topeak.

As a left of field suggestion what about a Fumpa? I have the match box sized nano which will fully inflate a road tyre or two on in one charg, and you get an awesome farting noise to cheer you up! Downside is remembering to keep it charged.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I have a £9.99 Decathlon pump which out performed 3 others on the Ride London-Essex this year. Doesn't look like they sell them any more, but my point is; don't discount a pump on price. I'm sure a Halford/Decathlon/LBS mechanic would let you try one on a spare tube.

Top Bottom