Recommend me a diesel engine cleaning additive.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
If you want the very best, then dig deep and buy Wurth diesel additive.

D

Deleted member 26715

Terraclean.
Never mind what big Ed says

61JXef5iMkL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

One of the answers is to stop using supermarket fuel, do as @Adam4868 says go up the motorway in a lower gear for 5-10 miles at a good 3k-4k rpm doesn't sound nice but will get everything nice & hot & clear it out.

One of the best additives is Miller's Economax

screenman

Legendary Member
I am one of the people who do not rate Ed, however from experience I know Terraclean works, great on variable vanes and the suchlike. Very interesting to drop a carboned up piece of engine in it to see it work. I have no connection with the product at all, I was just offering up my experience.

D

Deleted member 26715

I have no connection with the product at all, I was just offering up my experience.
I have no experience in it so will bow you your judgement if you've seen it in action, but I can understand that if you drop an item into a solution it will work, but what I'm not so convinced on is if you shove the stuff into the engine, where does all the crap go? Out through your CAT/DPF etc. which can't be good for them.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Diesel cleaners are for fuel side, not exhaust ,injectors and fuel system .
If they do clean egr valves they didn't on my old pug or or Bedford vans..
New diesel's don't tend to like cheap derv or additives ,old one's don't care hence chip oil and the likes.

Volvo and a few others say don't use cheap supermarket fuel all the time,use a good grade often.
I must admit ,the car and van run better for me but I rarely use Morrison or Tesco.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've used Redex in the past - and oddly the cheapest place to get it has been Tesco...

That said, what fuel are you using? If it's cheap supermarket diesel it might not be doing you any favours.
I found that Morrisons diesel in particular was prone to giving a lumpy lumpy tickover and slightly hesitant running. Switching to Shell / BP sorted it and I haven't filled up at Morrisons since.

Try running a tank of BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power Nitro Plus (or whatever it's called this week) diesel through it as well.

As has also been said, a few miles of motorway running at over 2,500 rpm will help too - this may mean keeping it in 4th gear.

Or do what I've done and ditch the diesel and buy a petrol engined car.

(However someone will be along shortly to rubbish everything I've said above... :rolleyes: )

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5515044, member: 9609"]and yet tanker drivers reckon they all fill up at the same refinery/storage facility. I'm tempted to believe them but then again that can't be right- can it ?

I really do struggle to believe much about anything these days, they reckon the 21st century is the "Knowledge Age" more like the age of the Hood Winkers.[/QUOTE]
They fill up from the same refinery but the driver has additives that can be added to the fuel on delivery, depending on whether the retailer pays for it or not.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I've used Redex in the past - and oddly the cheapest place to get it has been Tesco...

That said, what fuel are you using? If it's cheap supermarket diesel it might not be doing you any favours.
I found that Morrisons diesel in particular was prone to giving a lumpy lumpy tickover and slightly hesitant running. Switching to Shell / BP sorted it and I haven't filled up at Morrisons since.

Try running a tank of BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power Nitro Plus (or whatever it's called this week) diesel through it as well.

As has also been said, a few miles of motorway running at over 2,500 rpm will help too - this may mean keeping it in 4th gear.

Or do what I've done and ditch the diesel and buy a petrol engined car.

(However someone will be along shortly to rubbish everything I've said above... :rolleyes: )

Rubbish rubbish rubbish..and futhermore that's just rubbish:laugh:

I try to help out on Saturdays ;)

Top Bottom