recommend me a garage heater

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It's getting pretty chilly in my Mum's garage and could do with some heat in there when I'm working.

It's a double garage so quite a big space with very little insulation. I only want to heat one corner where my bench is.

I'm sure some of you have similar workspaces, so what do you use?

Or should i just man-up and put more layers on?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Charity shop jumovers. Cheap plentiful and easy to recycle.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Any conventional heater is going to be ineffective in a large uninsulated space. What about one of those things that looks like a small jet engine on wheels? Runs on propane? That'll keep Hank Hill happy.

Gillstay

Über Member
Small wood burner, just chopping the wood gets you warm.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Any conventional heater is going to be ineffective in a large uninsulated space. What about one of those things that looks like a small jet engine on wheels? Runs on propane? That'll keep Hank Hill happy.
The problem with any heater burning hydrocarbons is that they create a lot of water, making for possible condensation and associated issues such as corrosion. A wood burning stove at least sends this up the flue.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a couple of those radiant heaters and I really liked them, but they blew elements remarkably quickly. Maybe I was just unlucky but I lost 3 or 4 elements in as many months.

Fan heaters are good at getting heat where you want it but the ones that I've had were way too noisy. If you buy one, make sure that you check any reviews to make sure that you are getting a quiet one!

And wood burners aren't very "green"
Neither is heating a large, uninsulated, space.
I was pretty shocked the first time I went to the Costa Blanca (in coolish mid-March) to see people sitting eating outside in spaces heated by gas patio heaters. Let's just heat the world directly, eh? :wacko:

Top Bottom