recommend me a garage heater

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Neither is heating a large, uninsulated, space.

Maybe it’s me but when I work outside, and it’s cold, all I need is an extra layer and I’m soon warm / too warm.
'work' isn't always physical enough to generate a great amount of body heat... but it's still work :smile:

yello

A proper infra red panel is very low wattage, under 300w. So be mindful if the description says 2000w
Any recommendations?

I could do with something to warm my 'office' - basically loft space in a detached stone barn. There's roof insulation but otherwise nothing. Brilliantly cool in the summer but pretty darned cold come winter months and difficult to type with gloves on!

Edit: the lowest rating I could quickly find from a local search was 500w

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Any recommendations?

I could do with something to warm my 'office' - basically loft space in a detached stone barn. There's roof insulation but otherwise nothing. Brilliantly cool in the summer but pretty darned cold come winter months and difficult to type with gloves on!

Edit: the lowest rating I could quickly find from a local search was 500w

I'll pop over into the corner of the lounge where MrsF Works.....

Something like this we've got on the wall - same company - remote control, timer, and thermostat - you leave the controller near you and the panel heats upto the controller's reading. Literally about 2cm thick and sticks out maybe 5cm when mounted.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/byecold-Infrared-Ceiling-Thermostat-Control/dp/B08C7HW113?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'll pop over into the corner of the lounge where MrsF Works.....

Something like this we've got on the wall - same company - remote control, timer, and thermostat - you leave the controller near you and the panel heats upto the controller's reading. Literally about 2cm thick and sticks out maybe 5cm when mounted.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/byecold-Infrared-Ceiling-Thermostat-Control/dp/B08C7HW113?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Oh, of course - I was mistakenly wittering on above about Halogen heaters instead - sorry!

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Initially i'd dismissed the infrared panels on grounds of cost... I was looking at spending £50 on something rather than upwards of £150, but thinking about it, it may well be money well spent.

It's a large double garage in which i occupy one corner, so an infrared panel attached to the rafters above where i work may be the ideal solution. As I understand it, they heat what the infrared waves 'touch', so that's me, the floor, the bench and maybe even the tools on it?

One problem i had the other day was the moment i needed to change a router bit, I picked up the two spanners and being so cold, they dissipated all the heat from my fingers in a matter of seconds, and having Raynauds these days, it's not ideal.

I have it in my tiny mind that heat rises so putting the panel on the ceiling seems counter productive, but that's not how these things work, right?

[edit] oh... and @fossyant, does it just plug into a wall socket?

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Initially i'd dismissed the infrared panels on grounds of cost... I was looking at spending £50 on something rather than upwards of £150, but thinking about it, it may well be money well spent.

It's a large double garage in which i occupy one corner, so an infrared panel attached to the rafters above where i work may be the ideal solution. As I understand it, they heat what the infrared waves 'touch', so that's me, the floor, the bench and maybe even the tools on it?

One problem i had the other day was the moment i needed to change a router bit, I picked up the two spanners and being so cold, they dissipated all the heat from my fingers in a matter of seconds, and having Raynauds these days, it's not ideal.

I have it in my tiny mind that heat rises so putting the panel on the ceiling seems counter productive, but that's not how these things work, right?

[edit] oh... and @fossyant, does it just plug into a wall socket?
what about a plinth heater under the desk - like they use in kitchens

1637936323817.png

figbat

Slippery scientist
Heat doesn’t rise - hot air does. An IR heater, as you surmise, doesn’t heat by convection or conduction but by radiation. The IR light shines on you and you feel it as warmth. The IR light passes through the air with almost no heating effect, so blown air will remain cold.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Heat doesn’t rise - hot air does. An IR heater, as you surmise, doesn’t heat by convection or conduction but by radiation. The IR light shines on you and you feel it as warmth. The IR light passes through the air with almost no heating effect, so blown air will remain cold.
so they're not ideal for draughty environments?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They do just plug into the wall. They are relatively low wattage compared to other heaters, so if you are using it a lot, then best get one. They do work, and you won't be trying to heat a big double garage, just the area you are in. They will warm the tools etc.

A couple of the offices at work have them on the ceiling and walls as the rooms are poorly insulated.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

I'm currently torn between two options which are both around £150... one comes with a remote control, timer, thermostat and all the gubbins, the other just a basic plug and play. The fancy ones are around 500w, the basic ones are around 700w.

I'm not sure the remote/timer will be much use since the wall switch is right next to where i'll be stood, and I can use my head as the thermostat. I'm assuming in an uninsulated garage, the more power the better?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
At school our physics teacher used to go mental if you wrote or said "heat rises." Proper meltdown mental, mind you I bet every kid he taught has always remembered that it is the hot air that rises and not heat.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

The IR heater arrived today so i got it over to mother's house and attached it to the ceiling. Only had it on for an hour but in that time it raised the temp from 7 to 9 degrees. Last week the halogen heater took three hours to raise it from 9 to 11 eleven degrees, so by my reckoning the IR heater is three times more effective and consumes about a third of the power. :okay:

compared to the halogen, it's not a cheap bit of kit but I reckon the extra dosh will be recouped in electricity savings over the next ten or maybe fifty years :whistle:

Top Bottom