Recommend me a Gin...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't particularly like gin. I like a drink, some more temperance-minded people might call me a "bloody alcoholic" and they may be right - going a week without enjoying a couple of beers or a glass or two (no I'll be honest, the full bottle) of wine is not what I would call a good week.

But gin, I can definitely leave - if it were the only alcohol allowed then I would either become teetotal, or else illegally homebrew.

However I feel the need to repay a very kind favour, to someone who does for some strange reason enjoy the foul stuff and am looking for a nice bottle of gin to say "thank you" with

I'm thinking a little above the Bombay Sapphire, and anywhere around the £30-£50 mark - I've looked on The Whisky Exchange which I do use and trust for my whiskies and the occasional rum but I'd stil just be picking at random

So, are there any people out there with defective tastebuds who actually like gin and could recommend a good one in my price range?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
You tried Mitchell's at Meadowhead (no I'm not being funny)?

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
I've not tried Mitchells or any other shops...normally in Sheffield I'd go to The Dram Shop but I have no idea what is a good gin and what is an overpriced gin

Mme. HF. is partial to Tanqueray No. 10, next favurite, for comparison,is Plymouth. The thing to remember about gin is that it isn't made by sitting for years in oak barrels, and is independent of the weather so the price doesn't get as ridiculus as single malt whisky or "good year" wine can. It is very much more down to individual preference, (weak, just right or too strong juniper taste) than price, once you get above the basic flavured meths range.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Darnit, I thought you meant for you, and I was going to say Bombay Sapphire, and can we have the bottle when you're done, coz we can sell it to a local company who make recycled glass tiles...

Otherwise, I dunno, I have a G and T everyso often, but I'm spectacularly undiscerning!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Hendrick's with cucumber or Tanqueray as a more traditional G&T. Bombay Saphire is overpriced, overhyped and doesn't have the best combination of botanicals IMHO. There's also a whole range, far more extensive than British gin, of the Dutch equivalents of gin, genever, which can be excellent.

Arch

Married to Night Train
To go off topic for a mo, we found an old Pimms bottle the other day. The label explained that "This drink is much improved by the addition of lemon rind or cucumber"

Imagine a label on a product these days, telling you the contents could be 'much improved'!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It's an easy decision if you have a budget of about fifty pounds.

Three one litre bottles of Gordons. And buy some limes and small cans of regular Schweppes with the change. Totally sorted.

U

User482

Try tanner's, or penderyn. Both taste excellent to me, and are perhaps more interesting than the mainstream brands already mentioned.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Ooh, now Penderyn sounds interesting....as someone who enjoys a Penderyn whisky..I could probably even be tempted with a small sample myself....just for research purposes

Actually, as I probably will get to have a taste of this gift, it would be worthwhile if I could find something that might change my opinion of the usual Gordons etc..(on a basis that if I had only ever tasted Bells I wouldn't have any time for whisky either)

Top Bottom