Recommend me a Grease Gun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrichorwheels

Plus one for the dualco. I have two with different greases. Tis a wonderful thing. It always reminds me of the rocket ships from the 1930s flash gordon.
So there you are mr skol/ming

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
I must admit that I have never felt the need for a grease gun for my bike either.

I do have a traditional one for my vintage tractors.

Grease guns remind me of crawling around under an AEC 8 wheeler as a youngster greasing the many grease points as my dad did quite have the flexibility required!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I must admit that I have never felt the need for a grease gun for my bike either.

I do have a traditional one for my vintage tractors.

Grease guns remind me of crawling around under an AEC 8 wheeler as a youngster greasing the many grease points as my dad did quite have the flexibility required!

Don't get me wrong, I do have two full size grease guns used for automotive purposes (been using them for around three decades for my various vans and 4x4s) but never found one necessary or even struggled to manage without one for bicycle tasks.

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
Plus one for the dualco. I have two with different greases. Tis a wonderful thing. It always reminds me of the rocket ships from the 1930s flash gordon.
So there you are mr skol/ming

The Dualco looks like a unfinished product. The Park Tool one looks like a rebranded Dualco. Does look better painted:

GG-1_001.jpg

2DULG1-18.jpg

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I bought this after finding the syringes didn't quite work.

However I've not got round to doing my speedplays so I can't vouch for how well this works! ^_^

I've got a couple of those and they work well enough. Lacks the machismo of using a finger so not for everyone.

Petrichorwheels

You are the hipster!

Also more practical of course. Who wants paint on something you are going to cover in grease? It's a tool. My spanners/hex keys etc etc aren't painted.

Tom B

Guru
I bought this after finding the syringes didn't quite work.

However I've not got round to doing my speedplays so I can't vouch for how well this works! ^_^

I have one of those wedtite jobbies. It's a bit leaky when it gets hot but does the job.

I also have a large syringe with blunt needles. You need the type of syringe that the needles twist on (they're called luer lock or something) else the needles blast off, lubricated by your grease.

freiston

Veteran
After struggling without a grease gun to grease my drive-side rear wheel bearings with semi fluid grease (I now use SFG there because I had a Shimano freehub seize with grease and I'm hoping to avoid a repeat occurrence), I bought a Neilsen CT 2874 (about £14 now, I think) to make the job easier. I could not get the Neilson to work with the SFG so I cleaned it out and put the cartridge of "regular" grease it came with in it. It works fine now with the regular grease and I do use it with a fine nozzle - much easier, "cleaner" and less wasteful than fingers and a tub.

For the SFG, I bought a hair dye applicator bottle that does a grand job. After buying the hair dye bottle, I discovered exactly the same item much cheaper at Wiggle - a quarter of the price :ohmy: - except it is sold as "specifically designed for use with tyre sealant" :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom