Recommend me a horror film......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
KitsuneAndy said:
I thought that was awesome, but everyone else I know seems to think it was awful, glad to know I'm not the only one :sad:

Anything with Zombies in is always good.

Dawn of the Dead? (original or remake, two totally different movies really)

Actually, the remake wins just for having the Richard Cheese version of Down With The Sickness on the soundtrack.

Your both not alone,i found event horizon a cracking sci fi horror too.

gbb

Legendary Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
28 Days Later

Alien

Irreversable (though don't expect to have sex anytime soon after watching it unless ur missus is very strong stomached)

The Grudge - yikes, just writing that sent a shiver down my spine

Then you have to see 28 Weeks later.....
Its not the blood and guts thats scary, its the way TOTAL loss of control by those infected is portrayed in the film.
Funnily enough, i havnt seen 28 Days...

Another fan of Event Horizon here.
Its one of those films that some love...some hate.
Remember, its old hat by todays standards...at a couple of points, the story is a LITTLE weak, but a cracking film IMO.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
The Bone Collector - seriously grisly stuff. :sad: A bit late to suggest it for this evening though.

Some of the recent "horror" films that I have seen, are not really that horrific IMO, for instance if you compare the original version of The Fly to the more recent one, except for the scene where he slowly transmogriflies:evil::biggrin:.

More horrific IMO is the bit nearly at the end of Brokeback Mountain. If you have seen the film you will know what I mean, and if you have not seen it, ;)

SamNichols

I'm a massive horror movie fan, here are some good 'uns:
Near Dark: a Western vampire film from the 80s. One of the best vamp films out there
Switchblade Romance (Haute tension): A french one, from 03 I believe. It's a mixture of psychological thriller and slasher movie, some horrible special effects and moments, but the twist near the end is stonking. Great.
Funny Games: Austrian film by Michael Haneke. The viewer is systematically asked if they want the stakes to be raised, and whether they will be voyeuristic. The way that plays with your head is grim.
Creep: British horror film based on the tube. Don't go on the London Underground for a short while afterwards.
The Descent: Been recommended, but it is great. Hot girls get picked off in a cave.
For a sci-fi one try: Sunshine - Cillian Murphy (or 28 days later) stars as a scientist charged with re-igniting the sun. The first two acts are very eerie, although the 3rd act may be a bit OTT.
28 Weeks later: not as good as 28 days, but valiant enough.

Probably too late now.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks peeps, appreciated :sad:

We've actually booked "The Last Winter" now, as it was recommended and Filmflex actually had it.

I'll try some of your other recommended films later this week ;)

Cheers

Chris :biggrin:

SamNichols

Instead of filmflex, sign up for Love Film or one of the others (I use Sofa Cinema - run by Love Film, but a bit cheaper). It is cheaper, you get more choice and the first month is free. Give it a go.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'd say many of the Sci-Fi films people have recommended are good but I had a look in filmflex and the official SF & Horror section was even more bizarre but loads of great stuff in there!

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks Guys :biggrin:

Well, "The Last Winter" was another complete waste of £3.00 :sad:.

Instead of filmflex, sign up for Love Film or one of the others (I use Sofa Cinema - run by Love Film, but a bit cheaper). It is cheaper, you get more choice and the first month is free. Give it a go.

We were actually signed up for Lovefilm. The trouble was you can see how hard it is for me to choose one film let alone 8 or whatever the minimum was ;)

I got fed up in the end of waiting such a long time for the newer or more popular films to be sent out.
Other than that it was a good service, and cheap but I don't think we really watch enough films to justify it.

Cheers

Chris :sad:

Two good films I saw in my early teens, which might not have passed the test of time, were:

Race With The Devil

and

The Devil Rides Out

:sad:

Tetedelacourse

England v Croatia, 21 november 2007. Best horror show I've seen in a long time.

I don't enjoy horror films at all, but...

28 Weeks Later was crap. So was Event Horizon. Sunshine shouldn't have been but ultimately was.

Silent Hill was quite oddly moreish. I didn't find Hostel scary in the slightest but I'm more freaked out by supernatural ones.

The scariest films I've seen are all older. Modern ones don't seem to come close:

The Shining (by a country mile)
The Omen
The Ring
Halloween
Night of the Living Dead
Alien
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (this did genuinely horrify me for a while!!!!)

ajevans

Has no one mentioned the Exorcist. An absolute must for horror fans although you've probably already seen it.

Dark Water (Japanese) Same director of ring. good psychological horror.
Another vote for The Descent and 28 Days Later.
More on the fantasy side but Pan's Labyrinth is well worth a watch.
Wolf Creek - australian horror film.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
+1 for Dark Water, I really enjoyed that one.

28 Weeks I found pretty good, although you need to not look too hard at the plot now and then. Both that, and Sunshine (not a horror, but I thought I'd mention it as others have) have terrific scores by John Murphy, worth the price of admission alone. Sunshine is a belter, but suffers from a poor plot line right at the end - I liked it despite that. If you like your extras, both Danny Boyle and Brian Cox do a great commentary track.

(Incidentally, the cast commentary on "Dog Soldiers", another belting film, is excellent, and had me in stiches).

Carwash

Señor Member
I second votes for 'Ring' and 'Dark Water' (the originals - the US remakes are poor at best). Also 'A Tale of Two Sisters' is very good.

Tetedelacourse

On the broader subject of films, I finally got to see The Flying Scotsman on Friday.

Sooooooooooooo disappointed. My own fault entirely, having read and been blown away by his book, my expectations were sky high. I thought it gave a bit of a false impression of his problems.

Top Bottom