Recommend me a horror film......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamNichols

Bigtallfatbloke said:
prime ministers question time

PM's question time isn't a horror film, it is one of the most boring things in the world. It is basically just a jeering session these days.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Oooh, some interesting suggestions here. I'll comment on some, and add some ideas of my own.

(I know it's too late for you now you've rented and watched your film... but maybe next time...)

Second for Audition - Pyschological and subtitled. You'll be squirming in parts (Kitty, kitty will never mean the same to you again!)

Creep - Found this to be a bit boring, but if you live in London it may affect you more, especially on those nights when it's late and numbers are low on the Tube...

Dark Water - zzzzzzzzz. Was expecting something good, but it never seemed to materialise.

28 Weeks later - watched this last night (until 1am, got quite into it). Not as good as 28 days later, and the camerawork was very jumpy/shaky (I know it was intended but it made for hard watching in parts). Also seemed too quick - start, blood fest, slow bit with background, hell breaks loose, blood fest, end. Not too bad though.

Wolf Creek - have to second this. A very disturbing film, slow start, slow build up and then slow but effective horror... brilliantly done, and more scary because (IIRC) it's based on true events.

I'd have to say Shutter if you like Asian, subtitled, pyschological type horror with white faced women and spooky music. Had the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end when I watched it alone in the dark one night.

If you like squirm inducing horror rather than scary/shocker/gore fest horror then Hard Candy may be up your street. Quite disturbing subject matter, but an excellent film none-the-less IMHO.

Can't think of any more at the moment.

col

Legendary Member
Horror films havnt been my thing for a while,but years ago,when betamax was in,we got "The return of count yorga"There was a scene which nearly had me over the back of the chair,i jumped that high with shock.:sad:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Wolf Creek lol. I can see why people might like this but I just don't like that sort of horror film so thought it was awful. Wolfcreek was on filmflex at some point too.

Zoiders

On no account rent 28 Weeks Later

Its a bad bad film, not a patch on the original

28 Days Later, for all the scenes of despair and death was above all a story of hope, it was the films message

28 Weeks Later was just - everyone dies, the end. Utter cack, a vehicle for pointless explosions, the best characters just died in a attempt to shock people, leaving a film with no plot, the director had no concept what so ever of how to tell a story

Mortiroloboy

Frankenstein - the Boris Karloff original
Bride of Frankenstein - Boris again with Elsa Lanchester as the bride
Dracula - Bela Lugosi
Classic Universal Horror movies IMO.

papercorn2000

SamNichols said:
I'm a massive horror movie fan, here are some good 'uns:
Near Dark: a Western vampire film from the 80s. One of the best vamp films out there
Switchblade Romance (Haute tension): A french one, from 03 I believe. It's a mixture of psychological thriller and slasher movie, some horrible special effects and moments, but the twist near the end is stonking. Great.
Funny Games: Austrian film by Michael Haneke. The viewer is systematically asked if they want the stakes to be raised, and whether they will be voyeuristic. The way that plays with your head is grim.
Creep: British horror film based on the tube. Don't go on the London Underground for a short while afterwards.
The Descent: Been recommended, but it is great. Hot girls get picked off in a cave.
For a sci-fi one try: Sunshine - Cillian Murphy (or 28 days later) stars as a scientist charged with re-igniting the sun. The first two acts are very eerie, although the 3rd act may be a bit OTT.
28 Weeks later: not as good as 28 days, but valiant enough.

Probably too late now.

Really good call, it's possibly the nastiest film I've seen!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Zoiders said:
28 Weeks Later was just - everyone dies, the end.

I think that's part of what makes it scary though - it's in the school of the old "inevitable" zombie films (you can run, but eventually the shuffling horde catches up, they never sleep...). Whatever you do, you're screwed - cf. the "new" Day of the Dead and its coda.

I've heard it described as horror (not sure I'd agree) but "Intacto" has an interesting premise and good execution, if you don't mind subtitles.

Top Bottom