Recommend me a laptop for old fogeys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Old fogeys don’t like change. What are they used to?. Windows I’m guessing. As you say tablets are the thing now, laptop sales are in decline. Why not get them a Microsoft Surfaces? Or any other of the convertible devices. Windows OS. It’s a laptop and a tablet.

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Old fogeys don’t like change. What are they used to?. Windows I’m guessing. As you say tablets are the thing now, laptop sales are in decline. Why not get them a Microsoft Surfaces? Or any other of the convertible devices. Windows OS. It’s a laptop and a tablet.

They had a Sony Vaio with Windows 8, so that's what they're used to. Surfaces are a bit dear, especially buying the separate keyboard

XC26

Windows PCs tend not to have as long a usefulness lifetime as a Mac, unless you run Linux on them, in which they’ll run faster than ever and have a very long useful life span. Most folk I know with PCs suffer from viruses eventually, and also complain that their system is slowing down with age (just like people). In fact, Windows is notorious for declining performance over time as it uses a wierd, complex and inefficient method of storing settings and preferences - the registry, which is loaded at boot time. The registry grows over time as more software and updates are installed causing performance degradation. Also, you will need good antivirus software, which adds to the cost (unless you go with free versions) and also decrease performance and there’s no guarantee you won’t be infected anyway. A mate of mine spent a lot of money having his PC de-loused by a ‘professional’ PC clinic only to be infected again a short time later and he’s still paying annual antivirus subscriptions. He says he’s got a great routine, he switches on the PC on in the morning and then goes to make a coffee by which time the system is ready to use.

I would recommend an iPad if you only require general services like: web browsing, email and social media, online shopping, banking, photos, writing documents, etc. I would not recommend a Microsoft Surface as it runs Windows and I have no desire to use Windows. In the end, a Windows PC/laptop is cheaper initially but in the long run it can cost more, sweat and tears as well as cash.

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

Just been on the phone and went with the advice to go to John Lewis in the sales and pay £3-400. One of their requirements is the ability to print off forms. Although this could be done on a tablet it would mean having to buy another thing again. They're used to laptops and like the solidity of a physical keyboard.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Speaking as an "old Fogey".....

You do not say how the PC has died? ie, will it not switch on, suggesting physical damage / fault, or, does windows fail to load?

You say above the PC is a Sony Vaio, which is a reasonable quality bit of hardware.

My suggestions for cheapest (ie free) solution:

1. Ban Niece from using PC
2. Instal Ubuntu

Ubuntu is enough like Windows (ie, you select and click) to be useable even by on "old fogey" to access internet (using Firefox or another browser of your choice), Email, etc. It includes free office type software (eg equivalent of Word, Excel).

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

:laugh: I agree with 1) but it's impossible for grandparents to say no sometimes.

Apparently the motherboard died on the Vaio. It's not that they can't adapt to something else like Ubuntu or a good tablet, it's just they don't want to. They liked what they had and just want something like that, but working.

If it wasn't Christmas I'd go out and get them a Macbook and be done with it - the laptop I've recommended they get for years.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The laptop might be fixable. I have a mate who fixes broken smart phones and computers, so presumably it makes economic sense, particularly if it's only a year or so old. Depending on what's wrong, they might lose all their data or they might not. It might be a busted power supply. Might be a virus.

KneesUp

Guru
I have a reconditioned HP Elitebook. They're designed for corporate use so are physically chunky, but I love that I can get the back off without a scredriver and all the compents are really easy to swap should you wish / need. It was only £200 or so, they're no doubt less now. It has a Core i5 chip so is quicker than a budget PC will be, and it has a solid feel and nice crisp keyboard. The after sales has been great - I emailed them because the screen developed a fault and they gave me a choice of sending it back to them to be done - which would take 7 days - or they could just send me a screen and I could do it myself which meant I didn't have to go without it (I use it for work)

I still have Windows on it, but use Ubuntu Gnome 99% of the time because it's nice to use, reliable and much less suceptible to any sort of virus or malware. I've even skinned it to look a bit OSX-ish because Apple stuff looks nice - I just baulked at their prices after my second MacBook Pro died (actually the frist one was a PowerBook - that lasted ages. The Pro wasn't nearly as long lived, which put me off a bit when I saw how the price has crept up again) I keep Windows for the odd thing that I can't be bothered to get to work without it which I think is just the software to update the Sat Nav currently.

Possible food for thought? If they're mainly just using a browser then it's identical to any other computer really. Just don't tell them it's Linux as I find this tends to spook people who are not especailly tech savvy.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
A Chromebook is worth a look.

Instant on/off, quick in use because the Chrome OS is light on resources, battery life usually 10+ hours, and no need to worry about viruses because the great god Google looks after that.

Downside is there's not a tradtional desktop, everything is done via apps/in the cloud.

There's very little most users would want to do that can't be done inside the Chrome web browser.

Prices start at around £200, which I reckon is good value.

Some dearer - and cheaper - Chromebooks in this top 10.

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobil...romebooks-top-5-chromebooks-in-the-us-1233696
I have an r11 and am very happy with it.

If you just want to use it as a tablet the keyboard flips over and our of the way.

I only use it for the Web, video like Netflix and some basic work like word processing or spreadsheets. it's light and easy to use.

This?:okay:

Otherwise known as a 'Barnsley iPad'

th.jpg

+ 1 to pale rider's chromebook suggestion. Best thing that happened to me was my last windows laptop screwing up/refusing to update for no good reason. My 14 inch metal cased jobbie cost £170.

Top Bottom