Recommend me a multi tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Problem with a multi tool is any Allen key head etc that has tight clearance and the bulk of the multi tool is too much. Worth doing a run over of the bike with it to make sure there are no such issues and if so ensuring the appropriate individual tool is carried as well.

Reactions: C R
Problem with a multi tool is any Allen key head etc that has tight clearance and the bulk of the multi tool is too much.....
Which is why the Daysaver is a far more usable tool than the various hinged / folding / bulky solutions.

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    5.6 KB · Views: 4

dicko

Guru
Never?
Do you never need to reduce the number of links when fitting a new chain?

I had the opposite strategy, after years and years on 3/32nd chains, I always used a chain splitter to join and cut chains. I used to discard the quick links. It was only with the move to 10 speed chains, that I came unstuck and an attempt in joining a chain failed after a few months. So now I always use a quick link, but still need a splitter to reduce the number of links on new chains and on the road for emergency purposes.
No, never had to split a chain or taken a link out. Never had a new chain either, sorry.

Mike_P

Guru
No, never had to split a chain or taken a link out. Never had a new chain either, sorry.

Not good that IMO. Chain wear equates to cassette wear. Replacing a chain at first signs of noticeable wear rather than when it has reached the point when it should be replaced will extend the life of the cassette.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Sorry, I run an ‘83 Galaxy, and multi tools generally don’t include a 15mm spanner to take the rear wheel off :-)
So for me it’s a 6” adjustable, chain splitter and cable ties in addition to the puncture kit. All fits in the saddle pouch. If one gear cable goes I’ve got the other one to ‘get me home’.
Obviously going away for a few days is different, but that’s the usual set up.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Found a tool that matches my needs, arrived today from SJS and can confirm it does work with those brifter covers. £20.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/t...cordura-case-with-t20-tool-ideal-for-rohloff/

that looks good,

i'll post this link here as a be useful for others, but wouldn't have done 3) for you if it is a philips screw
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m13b0s71p4701/SPA-CYCLES-Slim-11-tool

It is pretty compact for what you get on it, including torx, and the chain tool works well as it tested it shortening a chain.. the only down side is as someone mentioned, as it quite wide, you get the occasional issue with a slightly inaccessible bolt where can only do a quarter turn at a time etc before refitting, where a traditional single allen key would give you a 360^ turn. I got it as my other chain tool was quite bulky to carry.

gcogger

Sorry, I run an ‘83 Galaxy, and multi tools generally don’t include a 15mm spanner to take the rear wheel off :-)
So for me it’s a 6” adjustable, chain splitter and cable ties in addition to the puncture kit. All fits in the saddle pouch. If one gear cable goes I’ve got the other one to ‘get me home’.
Obviously going away for a few days is different, but that’s the usual set up.

Expensive at full price, and doesn't include a chain tool, but I found one of these in a 'bargain bin' a while back:
https://full-windsor.co.uk/products/the-nutter-cycle-multi-tool
Quite light and includes a 15mm spanner, which I needed to remove the wheels from my wife's bike.

Ajax Bay

Guru
On the road you generally only need a 4mm and 5mm Allen key. For spokes , a Spokey does the job. Separate chain splitter; never found the ones on a multi tool work that well. Plus breaking a chain is a rare event.

Given the OP's parameters (didn't want separate tools) but also that they've found their £20 solution, I shall continue 'off topic' and stick to 'tools' not spares.
4mm and 5mm allen key. Small flat head screwdriver. Chain tool (like this one). Tiny light spanner to adjust spoke nipples (only ever used on others' wheels; mine self-built). 8mm spanner (v light) in case mudguards need fettling. Robust safety pin (for tyre cleansing and end of gear cable poking).
Anyone carrying a multi-tool is invariably carrying around stuff they have no need/use for, at least for their own bike, but I appreciate some like tools attached to one another (as opposed to in a v small plastic bag, renewed seasonally). Think this makes a bigger difference to those who have a stable of bikes and don't wish to kit out each one.

Rim brake axle nut and clamp bolt
Disc brake bolts (some need torx, mine don't)
RD and FD clamp bolts
RD and FD limit screws
Chain ring bolts
Seat clamp bolts
Seat post clamp bolt
RD hanger screws
RD bolt
RD pulley wheel screws
Bottle cage bolts
Cleat bolts
Mudguards securing bolts (at drop-out)
Mudguard stay bolts
Chain (failure)
STI and tyre tread poking

Last edited:
I'm using this at the moment I quite its size and weight and the pouch makes it good for the pocket. I used to use a Topeak Hexuss II but I found it a bit heavy, the previous ones had a tendency to rust (I think they've sorted that) and I lost a few (or bits of them). I needed one in lockdown after another Hexus failed and the Pro Tool one ticked my boxes. The few times I've used this one I've been impressed with how well the hex's and screwdrivers are engineered. Its maybe a bit small for some hands but the short bits have let me get enough accurate pressure on stuck bolts/ screws to remove them.

Top Bottom