Recommend me a multi tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I've managed to mislay mine, but also discovered when needed the spoke key didn't seem very effective.

Must have:
1. Chain splitter
2. spoke key
3. A screwdriver small enough to remove the really annoying tiny screw that fixes the plastic cover in place for gear cable removal on Shimano brifters

3 is the difficult one. I have one branded "bike smart" which has one but can't find it anywhere online and no idea where I got it from.

vickster

Legendary Member

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

Just get a separate one?

For me at least, the whole point of a multitool is so I know I have everything I need in one. Hence specifying that one particular irritant, and from experience knowing what a PITA it is not to have it when needed!

vickster

Legendary Member
I much prefer seperates - a single allen key is much easier to work with than a multitool. Just get a toolbag that goes out with you.

Surely he’s not changing cables out on the road (what he cites needing the screwdriver for).

Sharky

Guru
I too prefer separates. Some of the tools on a multi can be inferior and then you end up carrying extras to supplement the multi.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

Surely he’s not changing cables out on the road (what he cites needing the screwdriver for).

I've had cables break more than once, including three in three weeks (all on different bikes) last year.

I don't plan for them to break, but I am prepared for them. Surely that's exactly the sort of thing you want to be able to deal with - unexpected, serious, but easy to fix if you have the tool. Likewise chain splitter.

Jameshow

Veteran
Cool tool must be out of patient! Must be time for a relaunch!

Not many nuts on bikes these days apart from the rider!

vickster

Legendary Member
I've had cables break more than once, including three in three weeks (all on different bikes) last year.

I don't plan for them to break, but I am prepared for them. Surely that's exactly the sort of thing you want to be able to deal with - unexpected, serious, but easy to fix if you have the tool. Likewise chain splitter.

I’d have no idea…hence ETA cover. Never had a cable nor a chain break myself 🤞

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

I’d have no idea…hence ETA cover. Never had a cable nor a chain break myself 🤞

I've never needed rescuing except once - when I left my saddle bag on a different bike.

I decided to go tooled up for cable replacement after doing 50 miles through the Yorkshire Dales on two gears after a cable broke.

Top Bottom