Recommend me a multi tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There does come a point where you have to work out just what problems you will carry tools fix and which you just accept cannot be fixed

Punctures are a clear yes
general stuff coming loose also yes
but over that I would just stick a few cable ties in and hope
otherwise you end up carrying the shole shed round with you!

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
At risk of becoming really dull, I'll just repeat myself.

There are a few mechanicals which simple tools enable easy repair of, but without which a ride is ended.

These include spare tubes, puncture repair kit, allen keys, spoke key, and in my own direct experience, chain splitter and a small screwdriver to enable cable change - the latter an unfortunate result of Shimano insistence on making broken cable ends otherwise inaccessible.

All of these I have used where not having them would have resulted in a rescue or much more difficult ride home.

If you do long rides or touring, I think having these makes a lot of sense. They are not a "shed" but sit in my saddlebag for use should emergency arise.

Much as I appreciate all effort taken in writing the comments above, I'm not after advice on different approaches; I don't want multiple single tools which I'll inevitably mislay, nor a rescue service.

I would just appreciate it if anyone has a recommendation for a multitool including

1. Chain splitter
2. spoke key
3. A screwdriver small enough to remove the really annoying tiny screw that fixes the plastic cover in place for gear cable removal on Shimano brifters

Thank you!

...after doing 50 miles through the Yorkshire Dales on two gears after a cable broke
I've done that, or roughly that distance, twice, in part due to living in the Yorkshire Dales. It's not ideal, is it.

Since then, I both a) replace the rear derailleur cable more often and b) carry a spare cable and adequate multi-tool.

The multi tool I have, with appropriate bit for that screw, is the Daysaver. Specifically, it's the Original9 with the Philips head bit swapped out for the flat head bit. It looks as if there is no longer an option for a flat head bit in the current version (Essential8), but if you search for 'Original9 Daysaver', there are a fair few around to buy still, and then you can add the replacement small bit from the actual manufacturer ( https://daysaver.fun/en-int/products/replacement-bits-original9 ), and the chain tool / spoke key add-on, which forms part of the device, also from the manufacturer ( https://daysaver.fun/en-int/products/bike-multitool-extension-coworking5 ). It's a remarkably neat, light and highly functional bit of kit, though not cheap as such. In use, it's way better than most multi-tools since the hex keys are full size, solid and not hinged with all the other bits hanging off and getting in the way.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I've done that, or roughly that distance, twice, in part due to living in the Yorkshire Dales. It's not ideal, is it.

Since then, I both a) replace the rear derailleur cable more often and b) carry a spare cable and adequate multi-tool.

The multi tool I have, with appropriate bit for that screw, is the Daysaver. Specifically, it's the Original9 with the Philips head bit swapped out for the flat head bit. It looks as if there is no longer an option for a flat head bit in the current version (Essential8), but if you search for 'Original9 Daysaver', there are a fair few around to buy still, and then you can add the replacement small bit from the actual manufacturer ( https://daysaver.fun/en-int/products/replacement-bits-original9 ), and the chain tool / spoke key add-on, which forms part of the device, also from the manufacturer ( https://daysaver.fun/en-int/products/bike-multitool-extension-coworking5 ). It's a remarkably neat, light and highly functional bit of kit, though not cheap as such. In use, it's way better than most multi-tools since the hex keys are full size, solid and not hinged with all the other bits hanging off and getting in the way.

Thanks! I've never come across that before.

The link to the extra bits specifies "philips#1" as the small screwdriver bit; I've noticed that some multi tools specify Philips#2 - do you know if #1 and #2 denote standard sizes and if #1 is the right one for that annoying little screw?

The link to the extra bits specifies "philips#1" as the small screwdriver bit; I've noticed that some multi tools specify Philips#2 - do you know if #1 and #2 denote standard sizes and if #1 is the right one for that annoying little screw?
Good news. Whilst I don't know the definitive answer to the Philips sizes, and I thought that screw was a flat head. I have just used the Philips bit from my Original9 to undo one of those Shimano screws on an R7000 shifter and it worked perfectly. So scratch my comment about buying an additional bit since the Philips one comes with the tool in the first place (it's the flat head which is an optional bit). Again, do note that they've dropped the Philips bit entirely from the current version (Essential8), unless I'm misreading something. I found one site which has the Original9 for sale still though. I believe the new version came out late last year.

You need the 'Coworking5' for all the spoke / chain / tyre parts. I can attest that the chain tool works perfectly well. In fact it's much better than most 'on the road' chain tools since the main tool forms the handle.

silva

Über Member
I much prefer seperates - a single allen key is much easier to work with than a multitool. Just get a toolbag that goes out with you.
The tool of this topic is ment to be available along the road, I assume?
Separate tools make the jobs much easier.
That's a plus along the road, and holding the tools together, I use pencil cases.
I wear a waist bag, holding cards, keys, money, and a pencil case inside it, holding allen keys and other small tools, even to cut things, after having learnt some lessons after straps getting twisted around the cog, and also to pick glass out of tyres. You only know the value of a tool if you need it along the road and you don't have it.

-

Sharky

Guru
I have never ever split a chain, I always look for the removable link 😂

Never?
Do you never need to reduce the number of links when fitting a new chain?

I had the opposite strategy, after years and years on 3/32nd chains, I always used a chain splitter to join and cut chains. I used to discard the quick links. It was only with the move to 10 speed chains, that I came unstuck and an attempt in joining a chain failed after a few months. So now I always use a quick link, but still need a splitter to reduce the number of links on new chains and on the road for emergency purposes.

Last edited:
The tool of this topic is ment to be available along the road, I assume?
Separate tools make the jobs much easier.
That's a plus along the road, and holding the tools together, I use pencil cases.
I wear a waist bag, holding cards, keys, money, and a pencil case inside it, holding allen keys and other small tools, even to cut things, after having learnt some lessons after straps getting twisted around the cog, and also to pick glass out of tyres. You only know the value of a tool if you need it along the road and you don't have it.

-

That works fine for when I'm being a transport cyclist on my Bakfiets which weighs about 35-40kg and boasts a marine plywood box large enough to carry enough shopping for a small military expedition. I'll happily lob a full set of spanners in there and not notice the weight, in fact on one tour I carried a Joe Blow pump because I didn't have a reliable smaller version at the time.

On my commuter though I have limited bag space ans I want to keep weight down at least a bit because getting to work on time and without any excess effort is the main priority. I'm also fairly confident that I won't need to do too much maintenance, so the multi-tool is there for emergencies to effect a quick roadside repair to get me where I need to be on time, without taking up too much of my minimal luggage.

Top Bottom