Recommend me a pump for a lightweight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

froze

Über Member
As far as a mini pump goes there is none better then the Lezyne Road Drive large size, the two smaller sizes will be more of a struggle. If you already have something like that and she is struggling with it then move on to something bigger.

The other option, howbeit a bit heavier is to use a frame pump, and the best one is the Topeak Road Master Blaster. With this one she should be able to pump a tire up to 100 psi with relative ease. You do have to measure the inside measurements between the headtube and the seat tube, take that measurement and you match it up to their size listings, she will probably need the Small one since she probably rides a small frame bike.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Cheers Vickster, I'll struggle to convince her from a google recommendation :okay: was hoping for a recommendation from a similar sized person :laugh: Sadly the bike shops round here don't have a great selection for her to try out :sad:
I've never experienced the problem but can recommend this Lezyne track pump. It's by far the best I've used and very easy to inflate with.

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the suggestions of pumps to try, we'll have a look to see if any are available local to test out :okay:
Thanks @vickster for the post on velovixen, a few good suggestions on there too 👍

Thanks to everyone for advising on tyre pressures too :laugh: No one has bothered to ask about tyres, brand or sizing, the bike they are on or her type of riding, but many seem to know what pressure her tyres should be :whistle: If it's ok with you folks we'll stick within the manufacturers recommended pressures, as I reckon manufacturers will have actually done some testing :okay: & with my current track pump my wife can't reach the lowest advised pressure 👍

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Certainly see if you can test some at a bike shop.

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Did the tyre manufacturer ask how heavy your wife is ?
Surely the manufacturers recommended pressures is for any weight rider, ie lowest pressure for lighter riders & highest pressure for heavier riders, as a guide :rolleyes: & the bike shop she purchased it from recommended 100psi for her weight 👍

Surely the manufacturers recommended pressures is for any weight rider, ie lowest pressure for lighter riders & highest pressure for heavier riders, as a guide :rolleyes: & the bike shop she purchased it from recommended 100psi for her weight 👍
What width tyres is she on ?

We all know some bike shops are rubbish. Take for example the shop that fitted my mates mountain bike brake blocks in backwards so he had almost no braking at all.
Or the LBS that sold 25 1/4 inch frames to parents so that their kids would grow into the frame...

There's no way she should be on 100psi unless they're the narrowest tyres in the world.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
If a tyre says 100-130 psi on it, that means that nobody should go over 130, or there would be a risk of the tyre blowing off the rim, and that the average (male) rider probably shouldn't go under 100, else there's a risk of snakebites etc.
A more realistic pressure for a rider of 45 kg would be 50 psi front, 60 psi rear, or maybe a bit less.

If a tyre is too hard, the contact patch is too small, grip is less, and skids are more likely.
It's also less comfortable, which means slower (all the vibrations getting into the rider just soak up energy, which needs to be replaced by pedalling harder).

On track pumps, a narrower barrel is what's needed.
45 kg is (conveniently) 100 lbs, so to get to 100 psi the limiting pump barrel cross sectional area is 1 sq in (i.e. that size and larger, she'd just be lifting herself up, rather than pushing the handle down).
I'd suggest that maybe 1/2 to 2/3 sq in would be better - something 20-25 mm across (external diameter). You would want to look at something that advertises a substantially higher than normal max pressure (>= 200 psi).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
On track pumps, a narrower barrel is what's needed.
45 kg is (conveniently) 100 lbs, so to get to 100 psi the limiting pump barrel cross sectional area is 1 sq in (i.e. that size and larger, she'd just be lifting herself up, rather than pushing the handle down).
I'd suggest that maybe 1/2 to 2/3 sq in would be better - something 20-25 mm across (external diameter). You would want to look at something that advertises a substantially higher than normal max pressure (>= 200 psi).
👍 Spot on. thank you. We called into a LBS yesterday & they had a JoeBlow Race pump. 25mm bore & max pressure of 200psi. My wife tried it out & got to 100psi with ease, so she's a happy bunny now

iluvmybike

Über Member
No way does she need 100psi. I'm a little lass - not as little as your good lady - but I run Conti GP5000s 28mm at 70psi rear 65psi front. At 100 psi I'd be getting pinged off the bike at every bump in the road and at best it would be a very harsh ride indeed!

Top Bottom