Recommend me a pump for a lightweight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I wouldn't have believed this to be an issue until I witnessed it myself. My tiny friend Carrie had come over on her bike to do a little tour of Calderdale with me. She asked if I would top up her tyre pressures for her. I said that my track pump is really good so she could use it herself. It turns out that she has a track pump but finds it very hard to use. She demonstrated the problem to me...

Putting both hands on the pump handle and doing press-ups on it failed to push the plunger down. The only way she could do it was to jump in the air and push down while her feet were off the ground!

I was able to pump the tyres up one-handed... The thing is - her weight is probably sub-50 kg, whereas mine is 87 kg. Those extra 40-odd kg make a big difference when strength is needed. (She can sprint away from me when cycling up hills though, so it isn't all bad news!)

She can get enough air in to make the tyres rideable but struggles with the last 10 psi.

If @Soltydog discovers a suitable pump, I will pass the details on to my pal!

Electric all the way for this application :okay:

The Xiaomi gets good reviews cost vs performance wise also Cycplus.

And as others have said 100psi is a lot for the rider weight, i'd be surprised if more than 70psi is really required (i run 60-70psi @ 74kgs)

presta

Guru
Simple physics says look for the pump with the smallest cylinder diameter. Even a 1" diameter cylinder would take 80% of her bodyweight to reach 100psi.

Mmmf, well I'm 53 kg and a bit... :blush:

I have a Joe Blow track pump and use Topeak Pocket Rocket pumps on the bikes. Can't say I run my roadie tyres at 100 psi either - I'd shake myself to bits on the roads out here. Not sure what psi I do actually run at (650c wheels, 23mm kendas) but I have found a level comfortable to me, and it's probably no more than 60, I reckon. I go by feel rather than by number.

One other thing I've found with track pumps, especially with presta valves, is you've got to get the doodad to sit right on the valve, because if you don't, no amount of huffing and puffing will get air into the tyres. DAMHIKT... :blush:

si_c

Guru
If struggling with a track pump, then I'd imagine that CO2 or an electric pump are the best options for reliable, hassle free inflation.

On the flip side of that I'd be curious as to which pumps are recommended on @vickster's other group - from a selfish perspective an easier to use pump is always a bonus! :okay:

Reactions: C R
She did try an electric pump from Halfords & it was pretty poor tbh. The bosch may be better quality & worth a look though :okay:

Up to press she has been running around 70psi, but recently bought a new bike & recommended tyre pressures are 100-130psi. The shop suggested 100psi for her size & she's happy with them at that 👍
Sweet baby cheeses. What width are those tyres ? 100psi is far too much unless it's like a 12mm tyre.

This chart is pretty useful.

Frank Berto Tyre Chart.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
If struggling with a track pump, then I'd imagine that CO2 or an electric pump are the best options for reliable, hassle free inflation.

On the flip side of that I'd be curious as to which pumps are recommended on @vickster's other group - from a selfish perspective an easier to use pump is always a bonus! :okay:
Lezyne, SKS airkompressor, Joe Blow, decathlon

ref the Joe Blow
….Try locking out your elbows, draw shoulder blades in, hop up and put your body weight in. For removing pump head, use both thumbs on the edge of the pump head other fingers braced on rim and push straight out. Flip the lever first to let the built up of air pressure inside the pump hose down first, then it’ll be easier.

View: https://youtu.be/BSd1GSKDyjI

ColinJ

I think that is a complete load of tosh! :laugh:

Apart from the fact that it doesn't go anywhere near high enough for many larger riders, if it DID then the pressures it would be suggesting would be more than the tyres, wheels, or riders could stand!

At 87 kg, I use pressures which on that chart are suggested for riders between about 47 kg and 50 kg!

I think that is a complete load of tosh! :laugh:

Apart from the fact that it doesn't go anywhere near high enough for many larger riders, if it DID then the pressures it would be suggesting would be more than the tyres, wheels, or riders could stand!

At 87 kg, I use pressures which on that chart are suggested for riders between about 47 kg and 50 kg!
That weight is per wheel ? So your pressures will be tying in - more weight on the rear than the front.

ColinJ

That weight is per wheel ? So your pressures will be tying in - more weight on the rear than the front.
I'll rephrase what I posted... :whistle: :laugh:

Given that the graphs actually refer to wheel load, I'd say that the figure for the rear wheel is about what I use.

I use a bit more than suggested for the front because the roads round here can be rough and I worry about pinch punctures. Ideally, I would use lower pressures in the front than I do because that would be more comfortable.

Gosh, what useful input. So it's "tosh", and it's "what you use".

Don't think I'll be coming to you for tyre pressure advice :whistle:
He just didn't get how the chart worked beforehand. So if you look at the chart - there's no way a 50kg rider needs 100psi.

Top Bottom