Recommend me a rear light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Need a rear light for Wiggy #2, the Chartres.

1) Must be rack mounted and fit the light mount on a Topeak rack.

2) Must be suitable as a main light on unlit roads.

3) Needs to be cheap enough that I can leave it on the bike without the danger of it being nicked.

4) Would prefer battery powered as opposed to USB, but not essential.

Any thoughts?

FWIW, The seatpost-mounted rear light I have on the Rouen is the £8 high intensity battery-powered jobby from Wilkinsons, and it's a pretty effective thing according to friends who've seen me out and about on the roads. I'd spring for another one of these without a second thought if it wasn't going to be the proverbial chocolate teapot on a bike fitted with luggage...

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I've been using the Knog Plus ones both for front and rear, as you can clip them onto you, rather than the bike.

You can also attach them to the bike with the attachments, which are magnetic to the light itself, so they can be easily removed from the bike, rather than leave them on there unattended

Lots of flashing functions.

USB charged though.

nonowt

Über Member
Cateye Omni 5 Rear Light works for me:

The light comes with 3 different light modes to suit your environment or battery life. The modes are:

Rapid - 120hrs runtime

Flash - 90hrs runtime

Constant - 60hrs runtime

Currently £9 from wiggle maybe cheaper still on ebay. Not sure of the lumin count but it's seems pretty bright (I used on the Dunwich Dynamo last year) and it's clear body means it's visible from all sides. Cateye also sell various cheap rear rack mounts. I much prefer it to USB lights which seem to always be in need of charging.

I use a Smart rack mounted rear light for the dynamo. Spanninga do AA battery versions. Cheaper than Lumotec and very effective. Bolt on lamps seem to resist theivery.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I use this as my main rear light... only £8 and I'd say bright enough for unlit roads. A couple of duracels last all winter, but my commute is only ten mins.

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-rear-high-intensity-led-bike-light/p/0342372

I've fettled it to attach to my saddle bag, i'm sure you'd be able to fettle it onto a rack

This is what I've got on my road bike (as mentioned upthread). Have tried fitting it to the rack, but it's not without problems. One is that it stands proud and is in danger of being knocked off, and two, it's a bit flappy. Can't see a way out of that... :scratch:

Cateye Omni 5 Rear Light works for me:

The light comes with 3 different light modes to suit your environment or battery life. The modes are:

Rapid - 120hrs runtime

Flash - 90hrs runtime

Constant - 60hrs runtime

Currently £9 from wiggle maybe cheaper still on ebay. Not sure of the lumin count but it's seems pretty bright (I used on the Dunwich Dynamo last year) and it's clear body means it's visible from all sides. Cateye also sell various cheap rear rack mounts. I much prefer it to USB lights which seem to always be in need of charging.

This is probably closer to what I'm looking for. I've seen some that fit nice and flush to the rack, but idiot me didn't stop to look and see what they were... :banghead:

Might have a gander in LBS either tomorrow or Monday.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I bought a Cateye 610 in the end.

£14.99 in Rutland Cycles - they price-matched with Halfords and Evans. It's a bit brighter than the one suggested upthread, but then I do a lot of riding on unlit rural roads. Plus there was a mount for a Cateye already fitted to the rack.

D

Deleted member 23692

Spanninga Lineo for me - https://spanninga.com/product/lineo/.

2x AA powered and bolts to
standard rack rear bracket, so only a determined thief will give it a go. I've got the auto switching version which detects ambient light and movement to put it on and off automatically. It's literally fit and forget.

reivew here - https://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/achterlampen/Spanninga_lineo/index_en.html

Lineo_main-image_web.jpg

Top Bottom