Recommend me a route into London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I'm heading south on my bike next week, with the aim of arriving at my sister's place in Stoke Newington on Friday. I'm planning to follow Sustrans route 1 south but that only gets me as far as Suffolk. Could someone suggest a suitable, easy to find, way into north London? Being a northern girl my southern geography is terrible:blush:?

Thanks!

(Sorry, didn't know where to put this so feel free to move it)

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I'd heard these Mousketeers are not too hot on navigation:laugh:.

I'll be coming through Hull so will see if Mike has any suggestions, although I suspect he will have taken a more direct route than I'm doing.

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Legendary Member
4F said:
Helen, Where in Suffolk does it take you to ?

It splits, and ends up in either Felixstowe or Harwich I think so that you can get a ferry and continue on the North Sea Cycle Route. The maps are at home so I don't have the exact details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
User1314 said:
Don't ask any of those posters here who call themselves "The Mouseketeers".

They will just recommend either the M25, A12 or the M1.

Good lord! I go on holiday for a couple of weeks, and you use the interstitial interval to fire shots at me? Everybody knows it doesn't matter what road the Mouseketeers recommend. We're never on the road we think we are anyway. :biggrin:

What thread is this? :smile: Did I hear Manningtree, where topcat got us all lost and others took the blame for him whilst he fell asleep in the car park sitting on his bike? ;)

Here's mikee's 'instruction leaflet' on how to get down South - you have been warned!
9ksfth.jpg

He is also a Monday Mouseketeer, to add to his status as regular mouseketeer, following the time trial through the traffic en route to the Cenotaph sometime...:biggrin:

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Thankfully I didn't need the help of any Mouseketeers! I cycled down as far as the north Norfolk coast then got the train into London. I don't do Mouseketeer-type distances so didn't quite have time to cycle all the way.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Helen, can't help with routes into London, but I can certainly advise you of the best way out - North ASAP. ;)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
well, since I have just ridden in the opposite direction, taking care to avoid roads that might upset the love of my life, I may be able to help.

From Harwich head for Thorpe-le-Soken, Little Clacton and St. Osyth. From St. Osyth go through the holiday camp to Point Clear. Take the ferry to East Mersea (07981 450 169) and go to Great Wigborough and Tolleshunt D'Arcy. Branch right to Tolleshunt Major and stick with minor roads to about one mile north of Maldon on the B1022 - this is important, because Andy ilovebikes and I rode the alternative, the B1026 via Goldhanger, and we didn't fancy it one bit.

It's a steep climb in to Maldon - when you get to the top of the hill, turn left in to the High Street and then fork right on to Wantz Road, which takes you on to the ring road. Take a right on to the ring road, and then turn west on the A414. Leave this after about a kilometre, turning left for Hazeleigh. Go over the B1010 to Bicknacre, turning left in to the village and then follow the signs for East Hanningfield and West Hanningfield, and then Stock. You come in to Stock on Mill Road (passing the windmill to your left) and turn right, and then left on the main road, passing a church set back on the left hand side, before going down a hill. Take the right fork, Honeypot Lane, halfway down the hill - this isn't easy - and go down to the end of the road, turning right, and following the signs to Ingatestone and then Mountnessing. At Mountnessing turn left on the main road, which takes you to a huge roundabout over the A12. Take the road uphill to Brentwood (the highest spot on the entire route) and continue down the other side of the hill, but turn left at traffic lights on to Nags Head Lane. This takes you over the motorway, and ends in a T-junction - take a right and go up the hill, and then down again and continue straight, across mini-roundabouts, across the A127 Southend Arterial Road. Your road then curves left. Follow the curve and then turn right on to Squirrels Heath Lane. Follow this road, turning left and immediately right at Gidea Park Station, on to Fairholme Avenue, and then follow that road, and turn right at the T-junction at the end. This road takes you down to the Romford Ring Road. Cross the ring road, turn right on to the pedestrianised bit as you reach Romford Station, turn left on the High Street, and at the big roundabout take the A118 signposted Ilford. Go to Ilford, Stratford, take a left at the Stratford one way system and follow the signs for Mile End and the City.

Uggeshall Church is worth a bit of a diversion as you go through Suffolk.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
HelenD123 said:
It splits, and ends up in either Felixstowe or Harwich I think so that you can get a ferry and continue on the North Sea Cycle Route. The maps are at home so I don't have the exact details.
Felixstowe and Harwich are on opposite sides of the river - you catch a ferry from one to the other........

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Dellzeqq: The equal and opposite navigational force exerted on a body exposed to the Mouseketeers.

I'd have said, "Look for the A120, then somewhere around Colchester, jump on the A12. If it gets chilly and smells like the sea, you're too far South. Back track and try again :smile:"

There, parity is restored.

Ps. Do not follow my advice. Simon knows his routes.

TVC

You want a route into London? Wouldn't it be more useful to know the quickest way out?

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Oops, just remembered I forgot to thank dellzeqq for the detailed directions. I didn't quite make it as far as Suffolk this time and got the train into London in the end but will hopefully be back to complete the whole route at some point. Thanks!

Top Bottom