Recommend me a tyre and tube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickTB

Veteran
Hi all.
Finally seem to have sorted the CAADX brakes out, so now I’m moving on to tyres. Currently have 700x35c Schwalbe rapid robs and want to get a more road-centric tyre as I’m using the bike for 90% road and very very occasional light gravel. I’m thinking 700x28 or 30c. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for?
Thanks,
Nick

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m liking the Vittoria Open Pave 28s on the new to me bike. I’ve also got a pair of 25s to go on the other Genesis for when the Gatorskins wear out
Any tube with 28 in the range will do

Brandane

Legendary Member
For my similar bike (Genesis Croix de Fer) which I mainly use on road, with some light off roading, I am a fan of Continental touring tyres. Having said that I just fitted a pair of Schwalbe Marathons which I also like - but they are 32mm (standard marathons, not the "plus"). I also use Vittoria Randonneurs 28mm on another bike. They ride well too, and are available at Decathlon if you have one near you.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Choice of tyre depends on your requirements (driven in part by your riding style and type of riding (10% on light gravel - which I would ride on normal 28mm road tyres) or more specifically how much you value the various aspects of tyres: rolling resistance, endurance (rate of wear), grip (really difficult to quantify), resistance to puncture (tread and sidewalls), tyre weight, tubeless or tubed (will depend on your rims - don't think yours are), cost, colour (!).
Have a play with this site:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistanc...rix-5000-2018-vs-vittoria-rubino-pro-iii-2014

I recently put Conti Gatorskin 32c on my Diverge, 38c Spesh Sawtooths too slow, big difference on the black stuff! Some good deals with tubes included generally.

rivers

How far can I go?
I'm using pirelli cinturato velos in 32mm on my winter bike. Good for light off road, decent rolling resistance and puncture protection.

Thanks all for your replies. Went with the 32c Gatorskins and tubes offer at Wiggle. Looking forward to trying them out tomorrow
They will be much better than rapid robs on the road, cheers :okay:

Top Bottom