Recommend me a Tyre!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeitup

Veteran
punkypossum said:
Hi again, I'm looking for some semi-slicks to stick on my mtb for road riding, just so I can at least have the illusion of going fast :evil:.

They would need to be able to cope with a bit of gravel and also be pretty p*ncture proof as there is often a lot of broken glass on the route that I ride...

Quite tempted by the Schwalbe Marathon Racer (1.5), the Schwalbe Marathon (1.75) or the Continental Top Contact (1.75). Are any of these any good or has anybody got other suggestions? Also, will they fit on my current rims?

Any advice appreciated!!! :biggrin:

Hey, I was in the same boat.
I now use these :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AWESOME-ROAD-...2231403QQihZ004QQcategoryZ27954QQcmdZViewItem

He also does the Marathon Plus for 39.00 a pair inc. delivery.
Very pleased with my Road Cruisers. When they start to wear out I think i will upgrade to the marathon +.
I found the schwalbes to be better than my Conti's I used before.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Panter said:
I used to have exactly the same worry. Thread here if you're interested :blush:

(Now happily riding on slicks and looking to buy some slicks for the MTB commuter project :evil: )

Cheers for that panter - it's all slowly becoming clearer although I can feel information overload setting in! Conti sport contacs turning into current favourites again - till the next post!
:biggrin:

Membrane

punkypossum said:
Conti sport contacs turning into current favourites again - till the next post!
:evil:

If you start a thread like this you shouldn't expect to get consensus, that's never going to happen. To make sense of the replies you really should define your priorities (remember: there's no tyre that is great at everything).

A few remarks about what currently seems to be the two most mentioned tyres:

Schwalbe Marathon Plus
+ Best puncture protection you are likely to find
+ Very durable
- Expensive
- Amongst the heaviest tyres available (very much related to its puncture resistance)
+/- Grip is average
+/- Rolling resistance is average

Continental Sport Contacts
+ Very low rolling resitance for their size
+ Comperatively comfortable in the larger sizes
+ Good grip, including in the wet
+/- Mid range price wise
+/- Mid range puncture protection
- Soft top layer (compared to the Marathon) means that glass etc. can get embedded into the tyre (very much related to the good grip it offers)

alfablue

punkypossum said:
Oh no, too much choice, the sport contacts look quite good though and seem to be the cheapest of the bunch so far, especially with a free tube...
Well they need to come with a free tube because the punbcture resistance is poor (I got 3 punctures) - yes they have a guarantee, but I couldn't be ar*ed to send the tyre and tube back to Wiggle. Also the soft tread wore fast and collected glass and grit. I swapped to Specialized All Conditions Pro 26x1, great performance, no punctures in a year, they handle, grip and wear very well (probably helped by the dual compound rubber and 120tpi carcass).

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Hmm...going of the contis now! What about the schwalbe marathon racer then? Admittedly expensive, but lighter than the other marathons and still seems to have similar puncture protection (and the loveley reflective sidewalls! :tongue:)....Sorry to be a pain! xx(

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Have done it yet, unexpected expense cropped up, so tyres will have to wait till next month at least - in fact, they might have to go on the Christmas wishlist, can't really see myself being any richer in December just before X-mas! :smile: But strongly leaning towards the marathon racers at the moment - till somebody puts me off them! ;)

Top Bottom