Recommend me a waterproof jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Can any of you lovely lot recommend me a good waterproof jacket please ?
Got my 3rd sportif of the year this coming Sunday......114 miles with nearly 11,000ft of climbing. The previous 2 sportives iv done have absolutely p***ed down on me, and the forecast for Sunday is to be the same.
Not got a huge budget.
£40 max really
Ideally something relatively light that I could possibly fold away into a jersey pocket if the weather drys up
Thanks in advance

GazK

Veteran
I think this is one of those "pick any 2" situations:

light / cheap / waterproof:

pick any 2.

RhythMick

Über Member
I use the Montane Velo. Windproof not waterproof BUT it survived through Bertha in the Exmouth Exodus, the last 25 miles of which were the worst conditions I've ever seen. Can be found for £40. With a good (merino) base, and if temperature demands it a jersey, I find it's stunningly good and not sweaty at all. I carry this and a Gilet and in the worst conditions combine them.

Note this is NOT the Velo h2o,which is supposed to be waterproof but I've heard gets a lot sweatier.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've owned a Castelli Sottile jacket for about a year but never actually used it thanks to my skill in avoiding rain! However it got baptised on the Ride London 100, and what a baptism that was! I'm pleased to report that it performed impeccably; I remained warm and dry and not too sweaty, although during the wettest downpours my bare arms did feel a little damp. The great points about it are that it's incredibly light, folds up to the size of a fist and is snug and stretchy so it doesn't flap in the wind.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
The altura coats are pretty good, one of mine has done one winter of daily(ish) use and multiple washes as it stunk, and only just needs a touch of reproofing.

Just got one of their night vision jackets for this winter / rainy audax riding for forty quid on sale at wiggle.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
Bit more money but worth it £61.59
Altura Pocket Rocket Jacket

I've found this is very waterproof, but it seems so light that I'm going to rip it one day, be it in a pannier or on me whilst I'm riding anywhere near brambles. The sizing for them is miles out, too. I had to get an XL and I am neither broadchested nor big bellied. I shouldn't complain as it's kept me bone dry in pretty heavy rain!

Top Bottom