Recommend me an ISP please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've already had the misfortune of doing business with Talk Talk.
"Doing business" suggests some kind of ability to communicate. With that utter shower, it doesn't exist. A pox on them and all their houses.

Shanks

Another vote for Zen, I've been with them for years and cant fault them. Great UK based company with the best levels of service and support.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Weigh up what you want from an ISP, do you want good speeds or good customer service or cheap price?
you can only have one of these things.

get your bt line checked for fibre against all the big names, talktalk, sky, BT, Zen etc
check to see if you have virgin fibre in your area.
have a look at the speeds available to you and cost and see what you're prepared to pay, don't forget installation fee's and setup fee's etc have a look for deals.

ignore the fact that you will NEVER get good customer service as all of these companies outsource their firstline to offshore parties.
when they work they're brilliant, when they don't, well they don't! they all suffer from the same sort of issues.
i will say that virgin have all their own kit through from exchange down to pcp.
all the others have their own kit in a BT exchange and some PCP's and it has been known for openreach (bt's networking company) to disconnect the wrong pairs and totally bone an entire streets worth of broadband for another company!
the choice is yours but you need to make that choice there is no easy answer to what broadband you should get.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
"Doing business" suggests some kind of ability to communicate. With that utter shower, it doesn't exist. A pox on them and all their houses.
that's actually really offensive, i work for Talk Talk but have absolutely nothing to do with how broadband or phone systems work. how would you like me to curse you and your family home? :angry:
What an incredibly ignorant thing to say.

Last edited:

ASC1951

Guru
Zen and PlusNet came out top in the most recent Which? survey..
PlusNet work fine for me. Not quite as outstanding as they were before BT bought them out, but still local and contactable. I have the package which includes all domestic phone calls and usually costs me about £38-40 a month.

Shanks

...all the big names, talktalk, sky, BT, Zen etc

ignore the fact that you will NEVER get good customer service as all of these companies outsource their firstline to offshore parties.

I agree with most of what you have said but wanted to point out that Zen are the exception here, they do not outsource any of their support lines overseas. These are all handled directly, and very well, at their uk based offices in Rochdale with standard geographical numbers i.e. not 0845 or 0870. And no I don't work for them just a very happy customer.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Zen and PlusNet came out top in the most recent Which? survey. Utility Warehouse and Virgin were close on their heels.

TalkTalk is utter rubbish, BTW, but I want to keep my existing email address.
I think if you moved to Shuddup Shuddup your email address wouldn't be an issue.:whistle:

Weigh up what you want from an ISP, do you want good speeds or good customer service or cheap price?
you can only have one of these things.

get your bt line checked for fibre against all the big names, talktalk, sky, BT, Zen etc
check to see if you have virgin fibre in your area.
have a look at the speeds available to you and cost and see what you're prepared to pay, don't forget installation fee's and setup fee's etc have a look for deals.

when they work they're brilliant, when they don't, well they don't! they all suffer from the same sort of issues.
i will say that virgin have all their own kit through from exchange down to pcp.
all the others have their own kit in a BT exchange and some PCP's and it has been known for openreach (bt's networking company) to disconnect the wrong pairs and totally bone an entire streets worth of broadband for another company!
the choice is yours but you need to make that choice there is no easy answer to what broadband you should get.

No, you can have two of those things, it's possible to have good customer service and high speed, but this will not be cheap.

mchunt

I agree with most of what you have said but wanted to point out that Zen are the exception here, they do not outsource any of their support lines overseas. These are all handled directly, and very well, at their uk based offices in Rochdale with standard geographical numbers i.e. not 0845 or 0870. And no I don't work for them just a very happy customer.

Idnet support is also uk based in hitchin - small knowledgable team - with a great programmer and systems guy who hangs out on cyclechat ;-)

Top Bottom