Recommend me some binoculars please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freiston

Veteran
My personal opinion is that 8x magnification is fine for most applications - especially for things that move significantly. As has been mentioned previously, the bigger the objective lens, the 'brighter' the image and the bigger the field of view. 8x42 are very popular but 8x32 will be a bit smaller and lighter (which might be a consideration). Viking and Opticron are respected brands which have several ranges to suit most budgets.

I have a pair of Viking Navilux 8x32 (actually mine are "Navigator" but that range got replaced with Navilux - cosmetic changes). I went for the 32s because of size. If size is only an issue for some of the time (if it is an issue at all), you might want to think about 8x42 as a main pair but get a cheapish pair of 8x25 for the odd occasion that you want something to slip into the pocket.

Addendum: the size of the objective lens makes a big difference to the image, especially in low light conditions. A bright image at 8x magnification can be more revealing (and easier on the eyes) than a darker image at 10x - when comparing such binoculars side by side, the 8x will feel like a higher magnification. The figure used to measure this phenomenon is called the 'exit pupil' - which is explained here.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
+1 for Hawke. I have their Frontier ED in 8x43 flavour. The glass is exceptional for the money you pay. I also had rifle scopes by Hawke. Excellent glass too.

Here in the U.K. Where light levels aren't brilliant, you want as much light coming into your bins. 8x is ideal for birding (I do BBS surveying for the BTO) 10x is heavy and you need a steady hand. I can't say what is best for planes. I've never even seen one. Iron birds, the stuff of great legends. Don't believe in them myself.

Someone did tell me a magic formula once but I forget. Something like 'the easier or more exact you can divide the little number into the big one, the better'. Codswallop or not, I have no idea.

Swarovski. Brilliant image quality, I use a pair of Swarovski compact 8x25 that give a clearer image than most 10x50.
Tip - if you want to try out a pair of binoculars, pick a dull day. And look at the silhouette of a distant object against the sky. Lower quality optics will show up as colour fringing and general fuzziness.

freiston

Veteran
A good tip about trying out on a dull day but Swarovski ain't cheap - small pocket bins start at about £500 and their 8.5x42 are about £2k. As much as I appreciate good bins, I would need a windfall to contemplate buying a pair of them. Good binocular shops will let you test and compare sets. The RSPB have events where you can try different sets.

A 'p.s.' to my post above - low light usage doesn't just mean dawn, dusk or a dull day - if you are looking at a bird in the shadows or a hedge on a bright day, that could still be a low-light situation.

Cubist

Still wavin'
There are a lot of variables in binos. First off they've got to be adjustable to you and easy to use. Do you wear glasses? I do and had to find a pair with the right eye relief so I could use them properly. Next is the quality of glass. I use a lot of expensive scopes and binos, and the difference in quality from cheap to middling to alpha quality is remarkable. There is a very good reason why stuff like Zeiss and Swarovski cost what they do, and it's down to the quality of glass and manufacturing. There's some quality Asian glass out there, but there's some real crap too.

I do a lot of hunting, and it's vital to have some decent binos that work well in low light and this is where the "Alpha" glass comes into its own. Received wisdom will tell you that the best birdwatching, nature watching and hunting binos are between 7*32, 8*40/42 and 10*42. Any bigger and you're struggling to hold them.

I decided to treat myself to the last pair I'll ever buy and looked through a lot. Mates of mine have Zeiss and Swarovski, so I had them to compare. Reviews will point you to Minox, Vortex and Bushnell as alternatives but I just couldn't get on with them compared with the German stuff. Finally someone pointed me at a pair of Meopta. I tried the 10*42 HD and was blown away. The best part of a grand cheaper than the equivalent Swarovski r Zeiss, stunning optics, crystal clear and an incredible 3D feel to the image. They're a bit chunky, being a traditional rather than bridge design, but I use a chest strap so it isn't an issue. For evening stalking they showed a roe against a shadowy hedge a full forty minutes after sunset. Lifetime guarantee and a Loden tweed case and an awesome strap design. I can't fault them, and at least two people I know say they prefer them to their Swaros.

freiston

Veteran
Loads of reviews http://www.birdwatching.co.uk/bird-watching-binoculars/

These next two links are for forums that I am a member of and I consider the level of knowledge and experience to be generally good on them

Bulletin boards galore for different brands of binoculars: http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112

Several topics about binoculars (and other stuff): http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/general-equipment/

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The traditional porro prism design, with objective lenses significantly offset from the eyepieces, has significant optical advantages over the more modern roof prism design. Unless you pay a lot (> £800, ish), you'll get a better view with an equivalently priced porro. The drawback is that porro binoculars aren't usually waterproofed.

I'll recommend the Opticron 8x42 HR WP (£225), which are waterproof.
http://www.wexphotographic.com/opticron-hr-wp-8x42-porro-prism-binoculars-1012135/

Top Bottom