Recommend me some binoculars please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I have a hankering for a rather nice Swarovski scope for the rifle - but the price is prohibitive, as it's really designed for regular professional use.
This is on my .243 tackdriver. http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/shop/en/zd-6-24x56-rd/zd-6-24x56-rd/ctgRen.html First outing with it I hit a "target" at 599 yards according to the lazer rangefinder. It performs flawlessly with superb solid build, repeatable BDC drums, and the low light capability is just awesome.
Waste half an hour listening to Richard Utting on his thoughts on how it compares with the Zeiss Victory (possibly THE Alpha scope on the market)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQUykptFD0c

I know a few people in the game who are taking a very serious look at Meopta, and at least one mate has bought one having used mine, and he was a big Swaro fanboi. The RRP on that Meopta ZD is currently about £1400-£1500. You can find them around used for about £900 . A Zeiss Victory 8 will set you back £2300-£2600.

Cubist

Still wavin'
[QUOTE 4782177, member: 9609"]i think the OP is wanting to admire the wildlife not kill it.[/QUOTE]
I replied to the OP on the first page of the thread.
The post you quote above is a reply to User.

All the major optics companies quoted on this thread have a military or "sporting" history. The development of quality optics are inextricably interlinked with both.

Who mentioned killing?

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If you can wait a week or so, I've got a pair of more traditional binoculars that I picked up at an auction, which you can try out if you wish.
Thanks for that. Please PM me some details when you have the time. :smile:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
This is on my .243 tackdriver. http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/shop/en/zd-6-24x56-rd/zd-6-24x56-rd/ctgRen.html First outing with it I hit a "target" at 599 yards according to the lazer rangefinder. It performs flawlessly with superb solid build, repeatable BDC drums, and the low light capability is just awesome.
Waste half an hour listening to Richard Utting on his thoughts on how it compares with the Zeiss Victory (possibly THE Alpha scope on the market)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQUykptFD0c

I know a few people in the game who are taking a very serious look at Meopta, and at least one mate has bought one having used mine, and he was a big Swaro fanboi. The RRP on that Meopta ZD is currently about £1400-£1500. You can find them around used for about £900 . A Zeiss Victory 8 will set you back £2300-£2600.

I have always liked Opemus/Meopta gear in the photo business, they offered a color enlarger I did most of my personal work on, and I think it was sub-200.00 back in the 1990's. Good Czech build and optics. I'm sure their scopes would be pretty fine as well. I'm very impressed with the arms coming from Czech as well.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I replied to the OP on the first page of the thread.
The post you quote above is a reply to User.

All the major optics companies quoted on this thread have a military or "sporting" history. The development of quality optics are inextricably interlinked with both.

Who mentioned killing?
I believe that was me, with the high priced hit man comment.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
[QUOTE 4783123, member: 43827"]Why not consider monoculars?

Good vision, lighter and more convenient to carry around.

My son is partially sighted so we bought him an Opticron monocular. I now keep borrowing it because I prefer it to my binoculars.[/QUOTE]
I've never fancied monoculars, to be honest. Maybe it'd be worth trying some out though, just to see.

Cubist

Still wavin'
[QUOTE 4783236, member: 9609"]I have a pair of russian made binos that were originally designed for their navy, but I don't feel the need to turn up at the local nature reserve with a gun ship and depth charges.

and shooting at targets is just practising for when you need it for its designed use - to kill things with, that's what guns are made for, killing and maiming.[/QUOTE]
If you want to take part in a thread about your opinions of firearms and their uses, please go to the Politics forum and start one.

This was an informative discussion about binoculars and quality optics.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Recommend me some more practical, and, no doubt, newer, than these binoculars please..
Thanks
:smile:
What we (Mrs Dave & me)...........find a decent stockist with open land or views.
We wanted them for bird watching and general walkabouts.
Get him to line some up from low to high price (according to your budget).
Pick a few objects at various distances........then study them for a few minutes with each pair........starting with the cheapest.

Unless you have excellent eyesight you will quickly get past the cheap ones and get to the point were you cannot tell the difference between e.g. a £400 pair and a £500 pair.
Mrs Dave settled for Minnox at £350ish
I settled for Opticron at £450ish.........to me (with my eyesight) there was little difference between them and £1000+ Swarovski
We are both very happy with them.

Cubist

Still wavin'
[QUOTE 4787771, member: 9609"]well why don't you keep your fire arms out of this thread. Your obsession with weapons and killing stuff is disturbing.[/QUOTE]
You're making a fool of yourself now Reiver.

Cubist

Still wavin'
[QUOTE 4787857, member: 9609"]in speaking out against people who obsess about guns and take pleasure in killing?[/QUOTE]

No. That's the great thing about this site, you can express whatever opinion you want. But there's a time and a place for it.

If you want to take part in a thread about your opinions of firearms and their uses, please go to the Politics forum and start one.

This was an informative discussion about binoculars and quality optics.

Cubist

Still wavin'
[QUOTE 4787951, member: 9609"]well take your guns onto your politicla forum, I don't go there so you can boost in peace without me making comment.. But I will always speak up against guns in society. Yes I can see it is unwelcome in this thread but for me your weapons are also unwelcome and I will protest.[/QUOTE]
I was discussing optics. That's what the thread was about.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
dalai lama.jpg

Top Bottom