Recommend me some brake pads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Just looking for some advice - I upgraded to Swissstop Flash Pro BXP brake pads on my Boardman Road Comp (Tektro R315 calliper brakes) based largely on rave reviews. But having had them on the bike for a few months I'm pretty underwhelmed.

They don't seem to offer any significant improvement over the brake pads that came on the bike as standard, so was interested if anyone had any recommendations?

Thanks

I doubt you'll get better stopping than Swissstop but I found they'd wear out too fast so switched to Koolstops.

Last edited:

dim

kool stop with the dual compound .... Salmon (the pink) is for wet conditions .... the black part is for dry conditions
kool-stop-brake-pads-1.jpg

ChrisEyles

Guru
Koolstop pads considerably improved the performance of the (slightly flexy) centre pull Mafac racers on my old road bike, I'd give them a go.

On the other hand making sure the brakes are properly set up seems to make more difference than the specific blocks being used. Maybe try getting them a little closer to the rim using the barrel adjusters to increase the cable tension a smidge?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Swissstops are great pads, are you sure it isn't the calipers that need upgrading?

OP
OP
NorthernDave

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Thanks all. Given the general love for the Swissstops I've had another fettle with the set up, which I thought seemed alright when I checked previously.

A few tweaks and adjustments here and there and getting everything just so, the brakes did feel better on todays ride (although it was dry today), compared to the last couple which have been in the wet and in one case, pretty filthy conditions. Given this I'll soldier on for a bit longer and see how they perform in the wet.

Not road brakes but I find pads from these very cheap folks:

http://www.discobrakes.com/

Find their V brake pads fine - mind you on my tough Sputnik rims :smile:

I do have a bunch of their road/canti pads but haven't used them yet.

I think I was given the tip about them by someone on here.

Can never understand the price of swisstop.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Pad to rim alignment is critical as well as the condition of both. Pads get glazed and get grit (or metal) embedded in them and in prolonged periods of dry weather braking surfaces get polished smooth. Wet weather and grit will roughen them again.

simongt

Guru
When setting brakes up, I use a pair of defunct credit/debit cards. Place one between the block and rim on each side; I don't go for 'toe in' alignment, close the brake arms up using a third hand, d.i.y clamp or whatever your device of choice is and then take up the slack in the cable as required. Slip out the cards and you'll have a little less than 1mm clearance twix't block & rim each side. Just the job - ! :thumbsup: Also a surefire way to find out if either rim is out of true - ! :rofl:

Top Bottom