Recommend Me Some Decent Brake Blocks Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbine

I have a British Eagle MTB, best part of 30 years old and used only on the road (road tyres fitted). Although old, the bike spent many years laid up before being re-commissioned.

As far as I know the (cantilever) brake blocks were the original - poss Shimano blocks as all components are Shimano. I bought a couple of pairs what were advertised as Clarks blocks from Ebay and fitted a pair to the front as there is still a bit of life left in the rears.

First thing I noticed was the rubber on the new ones was much softer and less dense than the originals. Straight away, the new front blocks were noisy - not the usual squeal - more like a loud rubbing almost grinding noise. Anyway I stuck with them for a while, but noticed that they seemed to wear very quickly. The noise is constant.

Today I decided to look at the contact part of the new front blocks and found something looking metallic seems to be embedded in the rubber. Could poss also be grit that has been polished by contact with rim. Obviously this is not good for the wheel rim. Looking at the contact surfaces of the original blocks that are still on the rear, there is nothing embedded in them at all.

Anyway, can someone recommend some quality blocks to suit my situation? Something with harder, better quality rubber as I want to bin the new ones I have. I need ones that are 50 or 55 mm long. Have looked for Shimano, but can't find my type/size. Also want to avoid Clarks.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
woodbine

woodbine

Just found these. Wondering if they would be right for alloy rims - road use - all weather?

https://www.bikester.co.uk/shimano-...9_pla&ef_id=WtJF9wAAAIqmHeul:20180414181842:s

OP
OP
woodbine

woodbine

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Couple of questions about the Koolstops

The blocks I have fitted are 50mm long. How long are the Koolstops?

Also, I notice the Koolstops are asymmetrical? What are the advantages of this? Are they suitable for my bike - road use MTB with 26" alloy CTX50 rims - spoked?

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Couple of questions about the Koolstops

The blocks I have fitted are 50mm long. How long are the Koolstops?

Also, I notice the Koolstops are asymmetrical? What are the advantages of this? Are they suitable for my bike - road use MTB with 26" alloy CTX50 rims - spoked?
Its quite a while since I used them, you could try logging some of your questions to Wiggle.

OP
OP
woodbine

woodbine

Thanks again for your help. One last question..............................................................

Are the Kool Stop Eagle 2 blocks curved? If they are, I don't suppose the extra 15mm length will be a problem.

keithmac

Guru
I use these in on my Gtech and just fitted a set to my lads mountain bike.

s-l400-4.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
found something looking metallic seems to be embedded in the rubber
Alloy from the rims.
Recommend you read this 2015 @Ihatehills "my-brake-blocks-appear-to-be-eating-my-rims" thread through: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/my-brake-blocks-appear-to-be-eating-my-rims.186313/ Plenty of analysis and recommendations on that. Some good images in Post 42 (Page 3?) which were added only 8 months ago (which is why I remembered the thread).

Top Bottom