recommend me some hybrid bikes please? under £1000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
My medium Cambridge has mudguards, I got bontrager ones fitted by a localish shop as the sks options were no good. I think the raceblades might work but I wanted something sturdier

I am 5,9 and a bit and ride a medium, it is probably a teeny big small, I could fit a longer stem but I don't have any specific issues

Call around whyte dealers, where do you live? You may still find the pimlico works better on reach etc being small

Or just go to Evans as they are good for test rides and have a wide selection. They used to sell whyte, no more though for some reason

OP
OP
rasseru

rasseru

im in brighton, so worthing is the only close-by shop. maybe a trip up into town should be in order...

And you know what, check this out for funny - my girlfriend is a yoga teacher and since her teaching me i have grown due to spine strengthening, posture & core strength and we always joked about it being 2-3 inches - now ive just really properly measured myself and im actually bang on 5'5/165cm, 70cm inside leg - i was definitely 5'2"/5'3" when i was younger, i know that for a fact! so there you go, proof yoga can actually make you taller. :]

back on topic - in evans they have the alpenchallenge/sirrus/quick to try out so i'll go have a look and see if any of those styles works for me, then also maybe a trip into town.. i want to get something that fits me like a glove if im spending good dough - im very tempted by something carbon, as i like light bikes & this will be my only one, but ££££/will be paying credit for ages

vickster

Legendary Member
The BMC doesn't have a carbon fork so wouldn't be one for me. I have had a couple of Sirrus, others love them but I found utterly dull to ride, Cannondale Quick, decent bikes but the wheels look curiously underspoked and I am not light!

OP
OP
rasseru

rasseru

Well I'm light so that's cool, but I've managed to ruin rims before ... The majority seem to lean towards the cannondales vs the specialized (on forums )

I'm not planning on doing much downhill tho

OP
OP
rasseru

rasseru

received my lovely stirling this morning!

oh dear its been battered to a pulp, reflectors snapped off, derailleur protector snapped in half, derailleur bent so much so its sticking in the spokes, scuff marks all down the left fork... a team of gorillas delivered it. nice.

i got it for £850, Edinburgh cycles were really good in that regard, they knew it was going on sale so charged me sale price. meant a lot to me! and i get some more off if i want the scuffed frame.

but yeah. lovely bike, a perfect frame size and boy is it light. gutted i cant ride it yet tho!

vickster

Legendary Member
I wouldn't want a bike with a scuffed carbon fork as you don't know how it got scuffed and wether there could be a crack that could cause it to shatter...please send it back and ask for a new replacement!

I am going through the same issue with the fork on my Cambridge after the accident

OP
OP
rasseru

rasseru

that was me next question - is there anything else i should look for?

my avatar is a bit sad atm :smile:

edit* Edinburgh cycles were great, they need to send a new box as the last one was ripped opening it, but they were just annoyed at the idiots delivering

vickster

Legendary Member
Any damage to the frame or paintwork really, wheels being true, everything being properly tightened and greased

Which courier did they use, if packaged properly shouldn't really have an issue?

OP
OP
rasseru

rasseru

one i didnt recognise.

These are the scuff marks after rubbing the forks down, and glinting them in the sunlight - i dont think the forks are damaged severely, but im no expert

Attachments

• Grazes.jpg
    Grazes.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 64

vickster

Legendary Member
The problem with carbon forks is you can't tell if there is damage to the carbon without x-raying them! As it's a new bike and you are essentially paying full price, I'd ask for a new bike. It'll undoubtedly get scuffed when riding, locking it up and so on, but surely when new it should be pristine and fundamentally sound, which it may be but you can't tell

OP
OP
rasseru

rasseru

thanks for the suggestion btw - shes gorgeous, the small frame fits me perfectly and is light enough... she looks really agile!

Top Bottom