Recommend me some nice 28mm road bike tyres.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
After a failure on the commute today, which is the second one of these I've had fail far too early, would like recommendations for an alternative.

These are vittoria corsa, recommended by bikebuilder and were a revelation to me, simply an excellent ride.

So I'd like something similar, will be run with inner tubes. Money no object for my nice summer bike.

What say you?

20220713_075659.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
GP5000?

si_c

Guru
Looks like you've scraped those on something - curb perhaps?

For commuting, Vittoria Zaffiro Pro, good puncture protection and good grip with relatively low rolling resistance. Make sure you get the Pro rather than the regular Zaffiros though.

Vittoria Rubino is also a good choice, but I tend to prefer the former. I also use Bontrager AW3 tyres for commuting, they tend to be my go to at the moment as the local LBS always has them in stock. Very good puncture protection and grip, definitely a good commuting tyre, they are a little heavier though.

Unfortunately any tire that excels at commuting isn't going to feel as nice to ride on as those Corsas, very nice tyres they are, if only roads in the UK could be relied upon to be free of debris.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Looks like you've scraped those on something - curb perhaps?

For commuting, Vittoria Zaffiro Pro, good puncture protection and good grip with relatively low rolling resistance. Make sure you get the Pro rather than the regular Zaffiros though.

Vittoria Rubino is also a good choice, but I tend to prefer the former. I also use Bontrager AW3 tyres for commuting, they tend to be my go to at the moment as the local LBS always has them in stock. Very good puncture protection and grip, definitely a good commuting tyre, they are a little heavier though.

Unfortunately any tire that excels at commuting isn't going to feel as nice to ride on as those Corsas, very nice tyres they are, if only roads in the UK could be relied upon to be free of debris.

Thanks, but not for commuting generally, but nice summer rides. I commute occasionally on it in summer when the mood takes me; my normal commute has marathons.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
For commuting I'd go with Vittoria Rubino. Long-lasting, roll better than their Zaffiro tyre, cheaper than GP5000/4Seasons. I've used them for commuting for years.

An alternative, which I'm using at the moment just because they are old 23mm 2014 Tour de France Yorkshire Grand Depart specials, are Schwalbe Durano. Similarly roll well and are reliable. I can't wear these out!

If you're after performance/summer tyres - then GP5000 as others have suggested. Or Pirelli P Zero Race, which son no. 2 is currently using for racing.

Last edited:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
If money really is no object, get Compass Chinook Pass with either standard or extralight casings. I've run 700 x 38 Barlow Pass year round on a fast road / bridleway bike and they're so comfortable.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sigma sell lots of high end road tyres, perhaps have a look through their selection and the reviews?

8mph

Veteran
Michelin Pro 4 Endurance tyres are an option, good puncture resistance and nearly as fast as Contis

Alex321

Veteran
I've just put on a pair of Specialized Armadillo all conditions in 700x28. I don't know yet what the ride feel will be like, or whether they are really as puncture-resistant as promised, since I only fitted them yesterday.

But they are supposed to be pretty good puncture resistance, without nearly as much penalty in rolling resistance as something like the marathon+

I don't have a road bike any more, but my favourite road tyre was the Panaracer Pasela. Did thousands of miles on those on my old Galaxy. Very easy to live with.

Top Bottom