Recommend me some nice cocktails

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
As a couple we have never been "into" cocktails but on our last (A/I) holiday Mrs Dave tried a mojito .......it was disgusting. Strong mint flavour and very sweet.
I do think it was probably cheap A/I cr*p.
In June we are going to Alvor (Portugal) and it seem to have lots of cocktail bars. Trip advisor is full of recommendations for various bars......but what to ask for?
I know the names of some but have no idea what they taste like.
Not too sickly
Decent alcohol content.
Any (serious) suggestions/descriptions welcome (might be asking a lot:rolleyes:)
Thanks

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Molotov's are flaming good.....

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Aperol Spritz ....

75ml Prosecco, 50ml Aperol, 25ml soda water into a large glass filled with ice. Mix & serve with slice of orange....

Lovely :okay:

Lullabelle

Banana
As a couple we have never been "into" cocktails but on our last (A/I) holiday Mrs Dave tried a mojito .......it was disgusting. Strong mint flavour and very sweet.
I do think it was probably cheap A/I cr*p.
In June we are going to Alvor (Portugal) and it seem to have lots of cocktail bars. Trip advisor is full of recommendations for various bars......but what to ask for?
I know the names of some but have no idea what they taste like.
Not too sickly
Decent alcohol content.
Any (serious) suggestions/descriptions welcome (might be asking a lot:rolleyes:)
Thanks

A really goof mojito should be slightly sour, too much sugar does make it horrible.

Sandra6

Veteran
I love a good cocktail . A mojito is probably my favourite "classic" but it has to be made properly, not just out of a ready made jug of mixer.
Most cocktail bars will have a menu specific to them with house favourites. Just read through and see what you like the sound of.
I avoid vodka based drinks as it doesn't agree with me, but i like most gin drinks.
If in doubt ask the bartender wht they reccomend.

Lullabelle

Banana
I love a good cocktail . A mojito is probably my favourite "classic" but it has to be made properly, not just out of a ready made jug of mixer.
Most cocktail bars will have a menu specific to them with house favourites. Just read through and see what you like the sound of.
I avoid vodka based drinks as it doesn't agree with me, but i like most gin drinks.
If in doubt ask the bartender wht they reccomend.

Mojito is my favourite, made with crushed fresh mint leaves :thumbsup:

I don't like gin or vodka so my choice can be a bit limited, had a fantastic mudslide in St Lucia, a mai tai is a good choice as it is made with rum which I have taken a like to.

Sandra6

Veteran
Mojito is my favourite, made with crushed fresh mint leaves :thumbsup:

I don't like gin or vodka so my choice can be a bit limited, had a fantastic mudslide in St Lucia, a mai tai is a good choice as it is made with rum which I have taken a like to.
Have you tried robinsons new cordial for grown ups? They do a mint and lime one that tastes just enough like a mojito to make it pleasant.

PK99

Legendary Member
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnOIDCpm5iBiEymarO5jV0cdaQaLn0Aztxg4PmzIP0qgf1R72g.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Mild and bitter.

A pint of mixed? Still the staple of a WMC or two around here.

Decent cocktails though? Does a Vodka Red Bull count? ^_^

I like an Old Fashioned, and you can't go wrong with a good Bloody Mary although neither of them are really a full on umbrella wearing cocktails are they?

An Espresso Martini is a good one - and a Long Island Iced Tea should meet the requirement for an alcoholic kick...:wacko:

ETA - even 'spoons has a cocktail menu now...:okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom