Recommend me some panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MajorMantra

I'd like to find some panniers that aren't super expensive and which have some internal pockets so I can stop using a rucksack for bits and pieces. Does such a thing exist? I don't need the full rucksack/pannier combo thing that Ortlieb charge a bomb for, just a pannier with some partitions for odds and ends.

Failing that, can someone recommend some good quality, medium price panniers for commuting that aren't a complete pain to open and close?

Cheers,
Matthew

cannondale boy

Über Member
Altura arrans 16 litres £26 from wiggle...i have the 32 litre ones and they are good for shopping and a bit of touring. They have many compartments and it includes a waterproof cover which is bright yellow.

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

I'd want a pair but actually the Arran 36 pair looks like an option:

http://www.wiggle.co...ers/5360029308/

One potential problem is that they look rectangular. The (borrowed) panniers I've been using up til now look very similar to these and have extra heel clearance because of the wedge shape:

11535d1245918401-dsc01806.jpg

Clearance is definitely an issue on my Pompino. Hmm...

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

Any thoughts anyone?

cannondale boy, do the Alturas have much scope for adjusting the fore-aft position? If they do that might well solve the heel clearance problem.

BSRU

A Human Being
I have standard rectangular panniers and have no problems with heel clearance with euro size 45 shoes on.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I plumped for the Topeak MTX EXP (the DXP is slightly more expandable)

Here

Very happy with them, and if you use the MTX compatible racks, then they just slide on. Capacity isn't huge, but it's just enough for trips to other sites fully laoded with 3x locks, shirt, trousers and shoes. If you don't need the side panniers they zip up.

They are 'water repellant' - so far so good, but I think they would leak in a heavy dounpour. Oh and you can get a waterproof cover - which I intend to get.

For me they suit what I need, but some of the 16l paniers look ideal for commuting - not too big.

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

I have standard rectangular panniers and have no problems with heel clearance with euro size 45 shoes on.

That doesn't really tell me much since it's a matter of bike geometry as much as anything else. My Pompino looks to have shortish chainstays.

I plumped for the Topeak MTX EXP (the DXP is slightly more expandable)

Here

Very happy with them, and if you use the MTX compatible racks, then they just slide on. Capacity isn't huge, but it's just enough for trips to other sites fully laoded with 3x locks, shirt, trousers and shoes. If you don't need the side panniers they zip up.

They are 'water repellant' - so far so good, but I think they would leak in a heavy dounpour. Oh and you can get a waterproof cover - which I intend to get.

For me they suit what I need, but some of the 16l paniers look ideal for commuting - not too big.

That's what I figured size wise, and I've gone for a pair of Altura Drylines. I came to the conclusion that it was worth spending the extra £20 or so to get waterproof ones since I'd be using them every day and keeping my work clothes dry matters. Just found out they've been sent by Cityling - wonder if they'll ever get here.:rolleyes:

Do you need internal pockets?

The Carradice Super Cs are good, and have external pockets.

Two mile commute

I'd like to find some panniers that aren't super expensive and which have some internal pockets so I can stop using a rucksack for bits and pieces. Does such a thing exist? I don't need the full rucksack/pannier combo thing that Ortlieb charge a bomb for, just a pannier with some partitions for odds and ends.

Failing that, can someone recommend some good quality, medium price panniers for commuting that aren't a complete pain to open and close?

Cheers,
Matthew

I use the Avenir Double panniers and they are fine. One external side pocket for glasses, keys, lights and decent sized main section on each side. They are available from Parkers. They are not properly waterproof however the zips work well two years on and they are still in good condition albeit muddy.

Top Bottom