Recommend me some shoes,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pauldavid

Veteran
I have had nothing but bother with my cycling shoes and have come to the realisation this isn't going to get any better.

I'm currently using Bontrager race road shoes but they are far too wide at the front. This is not the shoes fault but is down to my very narrow feet.

So, can anyone with a similar problem recommend a narrow fitting road shoe please, thanks in advance for any help.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sidi are narrow I believe, as are Mavic according to an LBS chap I was talking to, neither brand is cheap. Depends also whether you want SPD or SPD SL. Ditto Shimano. In contrast, Bontrager, Northwave, Giro are wide fitting

Best thing, go to some shops, try some on, buy the ones that fit from the shop :smile:

OP
OP
P

pauldavid

Veteran
Thanks Vickster, i was thinking along the same lines about the LBS but just needed a pointer as to the brands that were generally a narrower fitting so that I can pick the right shop rather than spend all day going round various bike shops stocking different brands.

Just my bloody luck it appears narrow fitting brands are the more expensive ones

vickster

Legendary Member
Such is life unfortunately. I was told that the country of origin often affects the width of the shoes, narrower from Japan, France, Italy, Spain. You might get lucky and find some thing perfect on the reduce rack :smile:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Bont come in various widths.

I wouldn't say my S-Works are wide nor narrow. Due to the closure I imagine they would fit many foot shapes.

AFAIK Giro shoes are a similar fit to Sidi and have a high instep. Similarly so do Fizik shoes.

djb1971

Legendary Member
I've got narrow feet with a high instep and both sidi and fizik fit fine. The fizik a are a better fit due to them having adjustable padding in the tongue, I've removed it completely. The only issue with fizik for some is the footbed shape, even with the mouldable sole. I'd try a pair before committing but love mine.

Changing the footbed out can sometimes help if the shoes aren't out by too much.

OP
OP
P

pauldavid

Veteran
Changing the footbed out can sometimes help if the shoes aren't out by too much.

I have tried changing the footbeds and have used the Bontrager and Specialized ones to no avail unfortunately. Thanks all for your input though, at least I now have a few suugestions as to what to look at

azir

I use mountain bike-style Mavic shoes and they fit my skinny feet perfectly (just thought I'd mention if you were looking for some that are road-worthy but recessed for clomping about - these ones look mostly like road-specific ones so I don't feel judged ^_^ )

Top Bottom