Recommend me some socks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
I've got merino socks and overshoes but my feet still get freezing.

I've taken to wearing merino sock, ski sock, then overshoe outside of my cycling shoes ( which are off road type and warm.

I've already got a chilblain on one of my toes.

Any recommendations? .

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Sealskinz winter socks. Expensive but worth it.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Better still, get some proper winter cycling boots. Much better than socks, warmer, more comfortable, and much much more effective. Too many socks will cramp your circulation and guarantee you get cold feet.

Together with this, keep your core warmer. I get cold extremities in this weather unless I dress and cycle so as to get a slight sweat on.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Really, which ones, and do you have links to reviews?

It's Aunty Charlotte that first got me onto winter boots, and there are plenty of people over on yacf that swear by them.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
OK! Aunty C has the Northwave MTB ones, and I have the shimano road shoes. Both are goooooood.

yello

I'm going to shy away from actually recommending something because I've read too many opinions and experiences that differ from my own.

For instance, I don't get on with sealskins at all. I find my feet get sweaty and clammy cold. For me, I need a wicking sock (like merino) to get sweat away from my feet, because sweat chills. Layering socks also doesn't work for me, and can get uncomfortable. I have a 'less is more' approach - but this necessitates getting the balance right and the right sock/shoe combo. And "right" depends on weather conditions.

For dry temperatures around 5c, I find DeFeet 'Woolie Boolies' with normal road shoes work fine. More than that, the Woolie Boolies are too warm and I swap those for a thinner sock (like the DeFeet Aireator) . If it's raining or damp, or lower than 5c, then overshoes go on top of that. For around zero or below temps, then I change the shoes for winter boots (still with Woolie Boolies). I've yet to find a need to go more than that!

Yes, I get it wrong sometimes (usually on longer rides when weather conditions change) but the above outlines my general approach... and I'm still learning! I can only suggest you experiment and see what works for you.

Racing Green

I tend to be over sensitive to the cold and I find that warming all my gear up before I go out really helps. Socks, shoes, gloves, jacket on the radiator this along with keeping the core warm seems to be important as then the body does not seem to be shocked into trying to keep the blood away from the extremities and with the vital organs.

I conducted my own experiment today and the results are:

1) I am currently using the laptop whilst wrapped up in the duvet whilst my feet warm up and I can feel them again
2) Decathlon "Winter Cycling Socks" should be re-named "Autumn Cycling Socks"

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
HeatHolder socks 4.99 from Millets. If you are a bloke and have small feet buy the womens size (4-8). They are quite bulky.

Top Bottom