recommend me some trails in SE Kent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
So a few of us are doing some regular off road rides and I'm looking for suggestions of places to go. Not official trail centres as we know about those. I know of Barham and Perry wood in the Canterbury area. Ideally somewhere we will not be frowned upon for riding.

Last edited:

sotkayak

Veteran
Kings Wood area between Wye and Chilham . A very pleasant little ride is to take the train to Wye ,work your way to Soakham Farm and onto the track -which is basically a long slight downhill -until above Godmersham Park ,very steep ,then along Mountain road past Chilham Castle and into the Village,and onto Chilham Station.. Here's a map Plenty of rides can be worked into the forestry tracks ,and a parking for cars off the road (yellow ,NW of Soakham farm )as well as at Chilham (and Perry wood ))http://www.streetmap.co.uk/place/Godmersham_Downs_in_Kent_716611_261611.htm
Explored many of these woodland areas over the years -seen deer several times ,and once came over the rail bridge from Joan Beech Wood towards Lower Ensden and saw a fox catching a heron. My clatter must have disturbed the fox as he let the heron go and it ran/flapped away at a great lick.

Last edited:

oldbadger

Regular
I rode the 'secret squirrel' this morning. It was brilliant, and just stretched my ability slightly, with shallow ditches, short bridges, exposed roots, chicanes, a slight jump and very good fun. But what really topped the ride were the pair of woodcocks that put up and zigzagged away and the buzzard that flew from tree to tree ahead of me for about a hundred yards. It was the best ride out since I took on this cycling project in August.

I will look to see if there are any other rides around here.

Thank you very much. :smile:

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Just
I rode the 'secret squirrel' this morning. It was brilliant, and just stretched my ability slightly, with shallow ditches, short bridges, exposed roots, chicanes, a slight jump and very good fun. But what really topped the ride were the pair of woodcocks that put up and zigzagged away and the buzzard that flew from tree to tree ahead of me for about a hundred yards. It was the best ride out since I took on this cycling project in August.

I will look to see if there are any other rides around here.

Thank you very much. :smile:
looked at the secret squirrel, I have done the crab and winkle way a few times and thought there must be some good mountain biking to be had here. Will be checking it out, and Perry wood.

Top Bottom